how hard is it to maintain a Nano Tank?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I've seen some very good deals on Nano Tanks (29g) -- but I'm a bit concerned that they are more demanding than my skills allow. I've only been at this for about 9 months and with a 125g there's a little room for forgiveness. I've read that's not so true with a Nano.

For example, how often would I need to change water in a 29g? How much?

Please share your thoughts and experience.

Thanks,
-geno

I have a 30g tank and Its been pretty easy. This is my first tank and I have a very heavy bioload.
1 fire fish
2 oceallaris clownfish
2 yellow clown gobies
1 neon goby
1 golden dwarf moray
6 astreina snails
2 nassuris snails
1 rbta
1 gigas clam 2"
1 emrald crab
1 seahare
1 peppermint shrimp
1 flower anemone
and a bunch of different corals.

I have a 150w mh and a cheap hang on the back filter. i've had a few problems with algea but the seahare and crab have taken care of taht. I have around 30ibs of live rock and 20ibs of sand. I have sps and softies and lps in there with no problem. I do a 5g water change every 2 weeks. I really like my tank. When I move every thing into the big tank it's going to become a seahorse reef tank! I also dose aquavitro and it works very well for my tank.

flyingarmy;262031 wrote: Water Changes...water changes!

Do you haul buckets in all your nanos? or do you have system. I cannot imagine doing like 6 w/c a week.

We do a 3 gallon water change weekly. We have a small bioload at the moment however. Just 2 clowns, a peppermint shrimp, hermit crab and 3 snails.

stickx911;262033 wrote: Do you haul buckets in all your nanos? or do you have system. I cannot imagine doing like 6 w/c a week.

Buckets...to small of a WC to be worth automating it.

This is what I do and it works great.

Mine is a 12G nanocube. I have about 8G of premixed saltwater that has the appropriate levels of everything in a container with a powerhead and heater at all times. Everyday I take out a cup or two of water and add in a fresh cup or two of water. It adds up to be over a gallon of water in a week.

Seems to work great, everything is thriving and the tank is perfect.

How about some pics of these nanos. I just broke down my 90 and setup up a 24gal AP. Sorry no pics yet but I do a 5gal every week. I have a small bioload but I kind of feed a little heavy for the corals.

I have a 28 and do at least 7-8 gallons every 2 weeks...minimum. However, I have tons of SPS and my PWC's are more for trace element replacement than water quality. 2 rubbermaid containers, a heater, and small Maxjet pump and my PWC's are under 10 minutes.

some of you are over killing it. i had a 7 gallon minbow set up for 2 years and was set up 5 prior to me having it. had a pair of clowns,peperment shrimp and corals. i toped off ro water daily and one gallon water change a week. no problems ever.

I have a nano...about 15 gallons after rock and said get put in to the mix.

I am very slack with water changes but i am very regular with top offs and checking salt levels, temps and basic things like that.

I haven't had any problems and everything seems to be growing well in my tank. I have loads of softies - and all seem to be happy.

Also have some small hermits and snails, one clown, green clown goby and banded bleny )i think that's what it's called.

I need to do more water changes...i know i know...and i will once i buy an RO System.

flyingarmy;262031 wrote: Water Changes...water changes!

What's a water change?

No but really, I do a ten gallon WC on my cube whenever time permits, and that maybe once every 3 weeks to a month...

Back