How hard is it to turn a regular aquarium rimless with EuroBraces

spiderman097

Supporting
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a 120g, but all the used ones will have the top brace. I really just want to take the top brace off, and put on some eurobraces. Is this really difficult? Am I asking too much of myself? If someone can point me in the direction of some resources to help me along, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks

If it was a rim, the glass under will be pretty sharp.1

spiderman097;1005388 wrote: Thinking about getting a 120g, but all the used ones will have the top brace. I really just want to take the top brace off, and put on some eurobraces. Is this really difficult? Am I asking too much of myself? If someone can point me in the direction of some resources to help me along, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks
Why

I'm not sure it will give you the rimless look with the euro bracing . Your gonna need at least 1/4" glass or even bigger and that is not gonna look rimless. I think that is a lot of work for the payoff. Moot point probably since the glass under the trim is probably to jagged to expose anyway.

He could clean up the exposed edges, but I agree that the payoff may not be worth the amount of trouble and cost.

I also agree that this is not going to achieve a rimless look. From my experience, the euro bracing becomes "dirty" from salt creep, evaporation, etc. over time and begins to look cloudy. I had once attempted to keep it clean but that became a chore and I let it go.

If I were you, I'd sock a way a little more cash and wait for a rimless tank.

If there's one thing I have learned, it is to be patient and buy what you really want. Otherwise, you won't be completely happy and/or will buy again which ends up costing you more.

There's a 105 gallon for like 500. I'd wait like the other suggested

Please don't be offended but, it is one of those things where "If you have to ask..." By that I mean, even if I was sure of a good look and lasting strength, I don't think I would tackle it unless I were pretty sure of my abilities to work with things like this. I do a lot is DIY stuff and have acquired some skills over the years. If I were to try to tackle this, it would be with the understanding that I very well may be hauling it to the trash before it is all over.

+1 to what Rich said. Could I make it work? probably. Would I sleep at night knowing I may wake up to a flood? No. Definitely not

Anything tank with a brace/rim over 40g doesn't need to be de-rimmed. You are removing some of the support for the thin glass. If you compare the tank size to a rimless tank, you will notice thicker glass on the rimless one. It has been proven that all tanks up to a 40g breeder are ok to de-rim due to the correct glass thickness to pull it off. I have de-rimmed all the way to 20G but I know others that have done 40s.

Back