how important is a skimmer?

rtheilman

Supporting
Reaction score
I just set up my 120 gallon, which is an upgrade from my 55 gallon that I had for years. I have never owned a skimmer (or a chiller for that matter). I've heard I need a skimmer to clean the tank out. I only have 2 clowns, 1 tang, and 2 watchmen. Can anyone advise me on the "must haves" for a tank this size?

Thanks

Ryan T

How many water changes are we talking about generally? With vs without?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ryan T

What you're asking is pretty hard to quantify. It depends on your bioload and other such.

Probably the easiest well to tell if you 'need' one is to monitor your Nitrate and Phosphate. Keep a log of the values over a month or two.... note how they change after a water change. If the numbers are running high (and are not satisfactorily dropping after a water change) or you're seeing aggressive algae growth, then you probably need one.

McPhock;1008937 wrote: What you're asking is pretty hard to quantify. It depends on your bioload and other such.

Probably the easiest well to tell if you 'need' one is to monitor your Nitrate and Phosphate. Keep a log of the values over a month or two.... note how they change after a water change. If the numbers are running high (and are not satisfactorily dropping after a water change) or you're seeing aggressive algae growth, then you probably need one.

^^^ Thats better advise than what I was going to suggest.
I'd keep a close eye on the numbers as to prevent an algae breakout. Sometimes it's tough getting rid of algae and back in control. I wouldn't add any more fish if your really trying to prevent the "need" of buying one.
With that said, I'll add that with a tank that size you will most likely end up having to get one down the road. Keep your eye on the FS and catch a good deal on a RO, you will be glad you did.

Bgcoop8784;1008934 wrote: Must have...Maybe not, but I consider it one. There is no way I could do enough water changes on my system to make up for what my skimmer does.

+1

You may have a small bio load now but with a larger tank I would bet that changes as time goes buy. Is it critical? No but highly desirable. Think of it this way, you put a dumpster in your driveway, each week you put a bag or two of trash in it. Takes a long time to fill up but eventually it will be full right? In the meantime, it gets uglier and smells worse each week. Or, get a small curb side can and have it emptied each week. Not ugly and doesn't smell nearly as bad.

The skimmer will continually remove excess nutrients from your system. While the bio-load is small it may appear to not be working well because there isn't a lot to remove. But as bio-load increases it removes more and more assuming it was sized properly to begin with.

Considering what my skimmer pulls out in 3-4 days, even with automatic water changes, I'd say they're pretty darn important.

The times I've had to go without in the past (broken skimmer) has contributed to algae issues that took months to resolve.

Good advise all! I know what I will be buying next. Anyone have any brands they recommend?

There are as many brands of skimmers as there are cars. LOL But, if you want a good Ford or Chevy got with Reef Octopus.

Lots of people go skimmerless. Back in the dark ages when I started in this hobby, skimmers were prohibitively expensive ($400 and up, back in the mid 1980s, that was a lot more than it seems like today), and they didn't work all that well.

Is it absolutely necessary? No.

Is it recommended? Absolutely yes.

Your water quality and bioload and feeding habits will dictate how much/how often you need to change water. A skimmer doesn't eliminate that need but it does help maintain water quality by mechanically exporting nutrients.

Do your research, buy it once, and buy it right. There are many skimmers on the market and in many price ranges. This is one of those things that you should NOT cheap out on. There are plenty of places in the hobby where you can cut corners and costs, but this isn't one.

Ask any hobbyist who has tried and has a salvage box full of crappy cheap skimmers (raising my own hand...)

You don't have to mortgage your first-born these days either, but read reviews and get the best bang you can afford for your buck.

Jenn

I honestly have ran a skimmer for years. However I actually took my skimmer off about 3 months ago. I have notice my corals seem much happier and are growing much faster now that it's gone.... I've considered putting it back on but I am digging how well my corals seem to be growing. Maybe I was over skimming? Idk

This is the great advice I needed. Thank you all very much. We can close this thread now.

Back