how long before i can add stuff?

dawgdude;55433 wrote: Here are the basics you need to know, I work in a LFS and here is what I tell people:

You MUST start a tank with RO DI water. This is ultra pure and wont have any excess nutrients, phos, or silica in it. This will all lead to a HUGE algae bloom in a little while. You will need to start the tank over and put ro water in it unfortunatly.

My tank's was *born* on June 16th and I <u>did</u> make my salt water mix with dechlorinated tap water. Why? Well, because Step #1 on the bag says: "1. Mix Instant Ocean with ordinary dechlorinated tap or purified water..." (so, while purified water <u>was</u> mentioned, I didn't read that to mean it was necessary or even strongly recommended.) Also, the LFS said making my mix with tap water was fine. So, I can see why anyone would make this (tap water) mistake and I wouldn't fault them for doing so.

Okay, so now we all know better. And we've learned.

<span style="color: darkred;">My question is: Since my tank is still relatively new, <u>should</u> I start over and do a complete water change? </span>

Tank: 33 gals

Inhabitants: CUC (snails, hermits, serpent star, emerald crab), damsels and some soft corals.

Substrate: Sandbed is a mix of live and base sand (mostly live) and my rock is all LR and I have more than 2 lbs LR per gal.

My algea problem (I'm assuming from the phospates and silicates) is ongoing and tiresome. I've done two 30% water changes since my tank was born (no tap water since the initial set-up).

What say ya'll? Start over or just wait it out?

[hope I'm not hijacking, but I believe this post is relative to the thread]

It is 33 gallons so I would just keep up with some big water changes. You can throw in some GFO into the mix to help bring the phosphatees down and you can even run your tank dark for a couple days since you don't really have anything in there that needs light on a daily basis (except algae).

Cameron;55629 wrote: It is 33 gallons so I would just keep up with some big water changes. You can throw in some GFO into the mix to help bring the phosphatees down and you can even run your tank dark for a couple days since you don't really have anything in there that needs light on a daily basis (except algae).

Agreed....

It is not worth starting over that the algae should subside in time. Do you have a fuge in there to help soak up the nutrients from the bad algae? I also sware by a Sally lightfoot crab to cure most any type of algae you got...

Back