How long do pumps last in general?

coblerx4

Market
Reaction score
I have a Coralife Turbo Sea 1090 which as of April will have been running for 3 years. How long does a pump last? For those of you who have changed out your pump did you wait until yours died or go ahead and change it before that time?

Every year or two I will give it a "tune up". I'll take the impeller out and soak it in some muratic acid and just make sure there isnt anything out of place. I'll also put a little bit of O ring lubricant on the seal of the pump if its external.
Ive had the same mag drive that mixes my salt for god knows how long. A back up is always a good idea so in a pinch I can hook up my mag drive to my setup if need be.

At 3 years it's still just a baby. Make sure the intake doesn't get restricted, keep your impeller housing clean, and they'll last a very long time.

Restricting the intake causes the pump to work harder, draw more wattage, and run hotter.

I have never worn out an Iwaki pump. I had one running my 90 reef for over 12 years.

I run a MAG 3 externally for my CA reactor and it lasted about 4 years. It was abused a few times by running it dry and it finally shorted out.

Back