How long will an RO membrane last if unopened and unused

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
How long will an Unused RO membrane last if it has not been removed from it's package? I have had one sitting on my shelf for over 3 years now but since I switched to DI only water I haven't had a need for it. I am in the process of switching back to RODI and was wondering if the membrane was any good and would it be able to last a little longer?

Thanks,

Michael

You could post this on our sponsor forum Air Water and Ice they might be able to answer best.
One way to find out would be to make some water with it and check your TDS (with no DI).

DI with carbon can give 0 TDS water. But using the Tap Water Purifier unit the TDS was actually 4 or 5 out of that unit with no waste water. The drawback is that the cartridges are $20 each which wasn't a problem since I got close to 250 gallons out of each filter. But I just purchased a used 6 stage RO DI unit that gives 0 TDS out of the RO side and the filters should be good for at least a year, fingers crossed.

If it hasn't been exposed to water, it is fine. Once exposed to water, RO membranes "should" be flushed every 72 hours or preserved for storage.

miktrav;966815 wrote: DI with carbon can give 0 TDS water. But using the Tap Water Purifier unit the TDS was actually 4 or 5 out of that unit with no waste water. The drawback is that the cartridges are $20 each which wasn't a problem since I got close to 250 gallons out of each filter. But I just purchased a used 6 stage RO DI unit that gives 0 TDS out of the RO side and the filters should be good for at least a year, fingers crossed.

I get 4 -5 without DI so that sounds about right.

Back