How much movement is too much?

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
I have a Jebao WP40 currently sitting in the back top corner opposite of my overflow. It is pointed slightly up and towards the middle front of the tank and I get great movement throughout the tank. Is there a rule of how much movement should be in the tank? I plan on putting some hammers and other LPS' in the tank after its all settled in. Should I put a small RW8 to move water across the bottom of the tank opposite the WP40?

Thanks!

my lps like w1 mode. sps like else mode. hard to find an in between

Russ-IV;1036017 wrote: my alveopora disagree

For some reason my Alveopora loves high flow, he is sitting directly in front of one of my returns. IMHO it's hard to have too much flow. However, my LPS prefer the slower side of the tank and my SPS love getting blasted.

Bcavalli;1036036 wrote: For some reason my Alveopora loves high flow, he is sitting directly in front of one of my returns. IMHO it's hard to have too much flow. However, my LPS prefer the slower side of the tank and my SPS love getting blasted.

man mine stay halfway in it's skeleton unless i put it in night mode or something. then he comes out full on like the hulk. i may just blast him for a week and hope he doesnt polyp bail on me

Russ-IV;1036039 wrote: man mine stay halfway in it's skeleton unless i put it in night mode or something. then he comes out full on like the hulk. i may just blast him for a week and hope he doesnt polyp bail on me

Could it be too much light? I had that issue with an acan and it ended up being too much light, not too much flow.

Crew;1036040 wrote: Could it be too much light? I had that issue with an acan and it ended up being too much light, not too much flow.

only variable is the flow. he is shaded.

never fails... if i leave it on wave mode, he grows full. if i put on else, the turbulence blasts him back in to his skeleton. i cant find a dead spot to save my life either. even with 1 led power in else mode and he goes ape on me.

my lights at peak are 50%

Keep turning the flow up until the fish are stuck to the glass and tissue is coming off the corals, then turn it down a notch.

Bassett22;1036092 wrote: Have you ever been to the beach? Have you felt the amount of force the ocean waves can hit you with? Corals and fish can take a lot of flow. Turn it up and get that water moving! as long as you aren't creating a sand storm or blasting polyps off the skeletons, your fine.

from my experience lps dont wash up on beach shores. (i could be wrong though)

a number of them are in shallow lagoons.

EnderG60;1036076 wrote: Keep turning the flow up until the fish are stuck to the glass and tissue is coming off the corals, then turn it down a notch.

i can see the op's bird nest already tumbling across the sand still on the frag plug.

made for a good laugh tho lol

2 mp40s and loving it in a 60 cube :) all my fish just bounce around "turn it up"

Back