How Much RODI Water Do You Make?

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Curious how much rodi water everyone makes a week for their tanks.

On weeks when I don't do a water change, I average 40 gallons just for top off. On weeks I do water changes, I am at 100+ gallons of water made.

I am using the Air, Water, & Ice 5 stage RODI unit, and it seems I am having to replace filters every 6 months or so to keep my tds at 0.

How much water do you make, and what rodi unit do you use?

I'm guessing I make/take 40 gals a week for water changes, top off and rinsing stuff. I also use my system for fridge, ice & drinking so maybe another 30 gals. 70g per week. I have a filter guys system using Air Water & Ice replacement filters/membranes that get changed as needed, about 6-7 months.

I use an 8 stage 150g BRS RODI with dual membranes and I run my waste line out to our pool. I fill (3) 5g jugs for ato and 25g a week for water changes.

10g a week in evaportation and 40g on monthly w/c. I bought extra tubing and run my drain line out into the front yard to kill two birds with one stone by watering the grass. brs 4 stage 75 gpd. Filters last me annually.

civics14;1082179 wrote: Not sure, but I just upgraded to a 150g and I'm trying to figure a way to plumb my drain line out to my yard instead of having all that waste water go into my septic... just a waste.

Good idea, I hate wasting all that water, but it's hard to find a easy way to use it.

Thomas Brown from Thomas Vision Reef ran his to a flower bed

Genesis;1082182 wrote: 10g a week in evaportation and 40g on monthly w/c. I bought extra tubing and run my drain line out into the front yard to kill two birds with one stone by watering the grass. brs 4 stage 75 gpd. Filters last me annually.

How did you do this? My RO/DI unit is in my laundry room upstairs. I'm thinking of drilling a hole outside and install a quick connect and caulking around it and run in around to the front as well.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread Luke. But, yeah, I agree no easy way to do it. Need to get some ideas.

civics14;1082184 wrote: How did you do this? My RO/DI unit is in my laundry room upstairs. I'm thinking of drilling a hole outside and install a quick connect and caulking around it and run in around to the front as well.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread Luke. But, yeah, I agree no easy way to do it. Need to get some ideas.

No problem at all

I make probably 20/gallons week for top off and 100 if im doing a water change.

Also - maybe i'm wrong here, but I wouldn't run a drain or waste line to any green area. The salt is going to build up and eventually kill everything in that area.

Crew;1082192 wrote: I make probably 20/gallons week for top off and 100 if im doing a water change.

Also - maybe i'm wrong here, but I wouldn't run a drain or waste line to any green area. The salt is going to build up and eventually kill everything in that area.

It is the drain water from the rodi unit, no salt.

civics14;1082184 wrote: How did you do this? My RO/DI unit is in my laundry room upstairs. I'm thinking of drilling a hole outside and install a quick connect and caulking around it and run in around to the front as well.

My rodi is in my garage so for me it just required a longer drain line but for you it sounds like a solid plan.

LSU_fishFan;1082194 wrote: It is the drain water from the rodi unit, no salt.

oh oh oh... that makes sense. I was thinking drain water from the tank itself.

Yes - the drain from the unit itself is great for watering the yard/garden

You it's kinda funny..... I have a gravel walkway that I've been dumping the wastewater from water changes. It's been over 4 years and the weeds and grasses are still growing there. I guess some plants are salt tolerant combined with the 70 inches of rain we get flush the salt away.

I've been thinking about this myself. I thought of getting a 275 gallon tote off craiglist but don't know where I'd put it.

Is you're laundry room on the 2nd floor, or is "upstairs" over a basement?

Make sure the line drains completely, or is removable. If it traps water or stays stagnate in a bend during winter it WILL freeze.

I followed the condensation line from the AC, I did enlarge the hole a bit but sealed it with steel wool and Great Stuff foam, and ran it all to a rain barrel outside.

anit77;1082205 wrote: I've been thinking about this myself. I thought of getting a 275 gallon tote off craiglist but don't know where I'd put it.

Is you're laundry room on the 2nd floor, or is "upstairs" over a basement?

My laundry room is on the 2nd floor. However, I'm thinking of moving my RO/DI to the basement. Do you think there would be a problem with the RO/DI output being able to push the output water up one level? That's my other option and then having the drain line run outside through a window from the basement when in use.

Sewer Urchin;1082207 wrote: Make sure the line drains completely, or is removable. If it traps water or stays stagnate in a bend during winter it WILL freeze.

I followed the condensation line from the AC, I did enlarge the hole a bit but sealed it with steel wool and Great Stuff foam, and ran it all to a rain barrel outside.

Yeah, I definitely anticipated that hence why I would put a quick disconnect out the outlet side of the wall.

civics14;1082212 wrote: My laundry room is on the 2nd floor. However, I'm thinking of moving my RO/DI to the basement. Do you think there would be a problem with the RO/DI output being able to push the output water up one level? That's my other option and then having the drain line run outside through a window from the basement when in use.

No, it won't be a problem. That and it won't actually be pushing up that far unless you mount the unit on the floor. Figure if it's mounted 6ish feet off the floor in the basement and the line comes out a foot or two above ground level it'll only be six feet of lift max. I would think the waste line could do at least 20' of lift, if not well more than that.

As far as the cold weather just put a 3-way valve on it. One end goes outside and the other to waste down the drain. But if you leave it in the laundry room maybe you could find a way to fit some type tank in there for running your washer...

My problem is my RO unit, tank & fish room are in the basement and my laundry is on the 2nd floor. So I'm stuck getting the water outside for use.

civics14;1082220 wrote: that's a good idea about using it to was the laundry, but I'm okay with using the waste water for my lawn, save me from turning on my sprinkler system so often during the heat of summer

Well if you can find a place to put a tote you can get from craigslist and paint it or keep it shaded to prevent algae & mold growing in it you'll be good to go.
I put in rain barrels several years ago to water my garden. I bought http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-2-HP-Sprinkler-Utility-Pump-FP5112/100039433">one of these pumps</a> to push the water. I've also used it to run sprinklers from time to time. It'll drain a 55 gallon barrel, about 48 gallons when full, in roughly 15 minutes or less depending on the length or hose run. I had to get a suction hose from Northern Tool, this pump will collapse most water hoses on the suction side.

Regarding the topic I'm running the same DO/DI system as Brett. Everything's not up and running yet tank wise but I plan on going through around 100 to 150 gallons a month. So 25 to 40 per week. I have a little more than 210 gallons of storage and a 32 gallon Brute for the ATO. Once I get it running we'll see how far off my estimates are.

Back