How much weight can my floor joist handle?

meeetch

Supporting
Reaction score
So I want to go bigger on my tank upstairs but dont know how much the floor can handle. My joist are 24" on center and the tank would have to be ran parallel. Anyone know what size tank I could get away with upstairs with out destroying my wood floors? Thanks!

Yeah I wanted to run perpendicular but can't with the space I have in the room

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can this be braced and supported (post) across multiple joists from below? I did this is a crawl space with my 150g.

Are you sure they are 24" on center? Never seen that on floor joist. 19.2" is the most I've seen. What are they made of? What is the span?

b11fd55aa034c6d7ec8d26eeadf5b3ed.jpg
alt="" />

that's the plumbing going up to my current 45 gallon display. But in that room I can't put it to the wall to the left which would be perpendicular

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

345447fe8c10fe92064cbb8c3539b319.jpg
alt="" />
That back wall is where the plumbing comes up from the basement

If the tank would go against the wall above yoursump, I would close in a closet/sump room at that first truss. I'd use French doors. That would tie the truss to, presumably a slab below? It would give you a space roughly 2' by the length of that space.

If you do not support from the bottom. you can always add plywood on both sides with screw and liquid nail. this would beef up the trusses..

But I would brace from the bottom. make sure it is at a gusset though.

Back