How to catch a fish

mikesmith34

Market
Reaction score
Ok I know this May be a stupid newb question but I have never had to catch a fish. My tank has got quite a few coral in it. My foxface has taken a bad habit of eating my acro polyps and my Duncan heads. This has got to stop now. Try to lure her in with some nori and she hid in the rocks like she knew it was a trap. I must get her in my fugue to be given away.

So the question is how do you catch a fish without destroying the tank??:confused2:

Mike be careful not to let the top fins stab you they can be very painful(contain poison). The spines are also bad to get tangled up in nets when they throw up those top fins. When I moved my one spot fox to a larger tank I put a small bucket in the corner held in place with a cleaning mag and before the lights came on I pushed him into the bucket with a small piece of crate and used the crate for a lid. Hope this helps! Holley:yes:

She sleeps in the rocks. It's impossible to get to her at lights out. I'm thinking I spring some kind of surprise on her with food. Just need to figure that out. When she sees the net she hauls fins to the rocks.

I've heard its easiest to catch them right when the lights come on. Makes sense, I know I'd be easier to trap fresh out of bed before my first cup

Search 2 liter bottle trap on YouTube...works like a charm. You may catch ever single other fish first but you will get it eventually.

i just put food in my tank and reach in and pick up the one i want. i guess benefits come with hand feeding.

Sometimes just can't get around messing the tank up to get a fish out. You can try all the feeding and bucket tricks but a lot of times your just forced to do it the hard and messy way. Unfortunately we deal with this a lot being a service company.

JohnIII;915227 wrote: i just put food in my tank and reach in and pick up the one i want. i guess benefits come with hand feeding.

I think I'll pass on picking up the fox. Knowing my luck I'll get stung, go septic, ICU with MRSA, leads to amputation of the hand. Doesn't stop the infection and ends up removing my entire arm. :lol2:

Another trick. Put your net in and leave it overnight. Tommorow morning feed into the net with the flow of water pushing the food in the net. Do it again tomorrow night and sometimes the fish will get use to the net, and swim in for food.

Ugly for a day or 2, but it has worked for me....

Just my $.02

I had to catch a Trigger and Power Brown recently. They were scared of the net of course. I put a frozen mysis cube in a small net (left hand) and stayed ready with another net (left hand) and I was able to catch both in about 45 minutes without taking the tank apart.

Back