How to clean used tank

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used 55 gallon tank for $5 at a garage sale and they had freshwater fish in it so I'm betting it got treated with copper at some point in its life. Do I just rinse it out super well with the hose and a clean brush then clean with vinegar and water and rinse again?
That get me in the clear? Do I need to run carbon/poly filter? I plan on using it as a at at some point in the future.

I don't believe you can ever get rid of the copper. It gets into the silicone. Best thing to do is fill it with water and do a copper test on it.

Ouch. Good to know. Anyone near Sprayberry high school have a copper test kit lol? Kinda kills the deal having to buy a test kit!

Well, it's a moot point now. I cleaned it up real good and put water in it and it's got a pinhole leak in a seam. Darn garage sales! If. Anyone wants it, it's free if you pick it up before the garbage man comes tomorrow.

outdrsyguy1;1034807 wrote: Well, it's a moot point now. I cleaned it up real good and put water in it and it's got a pinhole leak in a seam. Darn garage sales! If. Anyone wants it, it's free if you pick it up before the garbage man comes tomorrow.

Easy fix!

There's no way I'm up for redoing the seams LOL. I'm not that skilled or confident LOL

It's a pretty short notice for somebody to get to it by morning. Why not hold it for a week and see if somebody comes and gets it? That's a lot of good glass that somebody could turn into a sump.

outdrsyguy1;1034809 wrote: There's no way I'm up for redoing the seams LOL. I'm not that skilled or confident LOL

Test out your skills, if it goes bad you have a 5$ sump to play with. If not I'll take it off your hands but wont be up there for a week probably :( unless you want to hold it ;)

Its easy to fix, I took two 150g tanks, both with cracks

I took them down to bare panels, scraped and sanded all the silicon off - couple hours hard labor
Then using the good panels used aquarium silicon (ASI) and put it back together.

Only thing I did was purchase a new top and bottom frame from marineland for $49

My job was a big tank, and really was not that hard

Dont give up, its worth fixing

The whole copper in the silicone thing is an old wives' tale. This old wife busted that myth years ago.

I've kept tons of corals and inverts in tanks that had copper run in them at some point or other prior to them becoming invert tanks, with zero issues.

Jenn

Thanks for the input everyone. Marlons gonna help me reseal it. Should be quite the lesson!

I did. It held water for the last 3 days no leaks! Thanks so much!!!! Draining it now and gonna move it to the basement to set up temporary.

Copper does NOT get "trapped" in the silicone as some have said. This is just a rumor/misconception of the hobby.

Back