How to decide on replacement MH bulbs?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I've started looking around for replacement bulbs for my 3 x 150 MH DE bulbs. They are part of my Outer Orbit fixture.

They are 10k HQI -- and as I search the web I find so many options and price ranges that I have no clue what's a <u>good value</u>.

For example, what does the $89 bulb provide that that $45 bulb doesn't or even the $20 bulb? Perhaps the filament (if they have one) is more substantial in the more expensive bulbs.

Any thoughts?

The more expensive bulbs generally have better par values, less colour shift and longer life. That doesn't mean the most expensive is the best however.

The best way to choose the bulb would be to see someone's tank. That may be difficult since you are running 150w bulbs. You could see tanks with 250w bulbs and see what colour you like, and go from there.

Well... There are so many choices in a 150 DE that it is very confusing. Most of your cheap bulbs were made in China and when you buy a $20 bulb, that is what you get... The color might not be the same between the three bulbs, they might not last very long, they might not put out good par compared to other bulbs. Problem is, this is most of the bulbs available in a 150W DE... Most of the time, but not always, the higher the price, the better the bulb.

First you need to decide what you want from a bulb (Color, par, life) and then research from there.

Colour shift is not the only reason to change bulbs. Par is a major part. Par will continue to decline as time goes on, whether or not the colour shifts.

I just had a great conversation with Sam at Aquabuys and he explained the differences between a lot of different bulbs for me.

I would suggest you give him a call. Plus he's a local sponsor with great prices when you are ready to buy.

I used to have a 14K DE 250 over my tank and liked the look, but the PAR was clearly lower than the 10K bulb and, according to Sanjay's tests, the 20K bulb as well.

If I recall correctly, there is also the issue of mating the correct ballast with the correct bulb. Depending on the type and manufacture, a bulb might not fire optimally with all ballasts. Unfortunately, I don't know the details on this.

thanks to all

I like the more natural lighting of the 10k range -- it may not be true but I feel if natural light is what the corals and fish are accustome to -- why should I change it.

I don't know brands very well yet -- the only one I've heard of is Ushio -- which I think is a bit expensive.

geno;197073 wrote: thanks to all

I like the more natural lighting of the 10k range -- it may not be true but I feel if natural light is what the corals and fish are accustome to -- why should I change it.

I don't know brands very well yet -- the only one I've heard of is Ushio -- which I think is a bit expensive.

Don't worry about the fish and corals. Go with the colour that YOU like best. Afterall, it's you that has to look at the tank and enjoy it.

I have tried 6 different 150W DE bulbs ( Radium, XM, Coralvue, Ushio, Aqualine B, Phoenix) and went back to where I started.

Phoenix 14K.

Nice blueish tint without too much blue. Good growth and makes coral colors look nice. Some of the ones above were $100 each. For approximately $60 Phoenix is the way to go.

Brandon, my light is an Outer Orbit that I think has the Ushio bulb (10K). Frankly, I think it washes out the color in the tank -- when they go off and only the Actinics are on -- the color is much more pleasing to the eye.

So, Darren, does that mean I would really like the Phoenix 14K a lot? Would it be too similar to the Actinics that I have?

The way I have the lights timed is: Actinics on first, then the MH, the MH go off first while the Actinics remain on for a while. Should they all be on at the same time or when the MH come on should I have the Actinics go off?

Pheonix14 is very popular. It is monochrome in color which means it mainly has a blue spike and not much else and may wash out reds and pinks when used alone. The color tends to be a light blue/white color vs. a 20K lamp.

I don't think you can go wrong with that lamp.

Okay -- Phoenix 14K it is -- I'll give'em a try.

Thanks for the direction:)

-gene

I did a little research on the Phoenix 14K's (150) -- looks like they run about $60 + S&H times 3 for my light -- well, okay then

geno;197337 wrote: I did a little research on the Phoenix 14K's (150) -- looks like they run about $60 + S&H times 3 for my light -- well, okay then

The best advice is I can give is to go see Sammy at Aquabuys. He's in Lawrenceville.

http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=px-150w-14K&Category_Code=z93b&Product_Count=9">http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=px-150w-14K&Category_Code=z93b&Product_Count=9</a>

You can also talk to him about one of his favorite subjects............Lighting for aquariums.

Back