How to fish only

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I just aquired a 55gal and stand. I read the bottom and it states all panels tempered so that means no drilling. I have been wanting a fish only to house a large puffer for awhile now. Well water better time than now. The stand is short like a walmart black maybe 2ft tall stand with two doors. The members that have fish only how whould I go about this. Do I need 55lbs lr or what. I don't have the first clue when it comes to this. What all do I need?

LR is good for all SW tanks as it is a main part of the filtration. If you have some LR, you can just use HOB filters or a canister filter and some powerheads.

Also, make sure the 55 is enough for your puffer, some get quite large.

Full grown or now? Take into account the future size of the fish, not the current size.

I was just lookin at the regular puffers. Or the more common ones. Eveyone I have ever seen has just got so much character

Best to do some research before choosing a must-have puffer - many get really large - like basketball sized.

I don't recommend canisters. HOB filter of 400 GPH or better and a HOB skimmer will work on a 55.

And live rock, of course.

Jenn

it is kinda sad that I have an SPS tank and clam tank and can maintain it but need help with fish only

Well I am thinking that this would only be for him (puffer) that being said what would be the max size that a puffer would be able to get in a 55 standard in the long run?

Check out the blue spotted. Really pretty, max size 5in and cheap. Not to mention hardy. A reg spotted puffer is nice too just not as pretty. Just up the water changes or get a nice skimmer for him. These guys create some waste

Saddle at 5in and Saddle Valentini at 4in
aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm

That's what I was diggin. Read up on it. They have a little info in the advertisement.
I'll see what I can find later. Gotta go shopping with the wife now.

Marine Designs has a (5" maybe)porcupine puffer in the last tank on the left side.. it's a curious little fish, swimming right up to the edge of the glass and watching you as you stand there...

the eyes are AWESOME to watch..

i know it's not right around the corner from fayetteville.. but it's a gorgeous fish..

Haha, I saw one at Tim's last month, and when he got the feeding utensil out, the fish was going nuts at the front of the glass and jumping up out of the water for some food.

Yeah for some reason those guys, triggers and naso's are like buying puppies

That is what is makin me want one just wish I could get a porcupine they just get so freakin big

Back