How to Formalin Dip?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Got some today, but the directions tell how to dose the tank. I was under the impression that dipping the fish was better in a reef tank. Anyways, really wasn't sure if I should mix the formalin in RO, fresh salt, or tank salt water. And how long to dip? Any other precautions?

BTW, treating for white ick

Treat in saltwater (take some out of the display). Make sure you add an airstone during the dip. I usually dip anywhere between 30 min to 1 hour.

You can also mix the formalin with meth blue and do a combo dip. I usually run this for 45 min to 1 hr.

I usually do #2 if the fish has ich and is obviously stressed. hth

Is there any difference in how well the Formalin dip works between using Salt and just RO water? I was reading about using RO water and making sure to adjust the pH to match your tank water, but wasn't sure about leaving my fish in the RO water for as long as they recommended.

Ok let me chime in here... Yes BRENDA you can add the formalin to the QT tank, it is not like copper which leaches into the tank. Just make sure you have a bowl or something to give the fish a rinse before you put him in the DT.

Raj is right about the procedure. Meth blue is best used with Formalin. The problem is that Formalin does not hold on to O2, hence the reason you HAVE to use an airstone. Meth bule helps solve that problem since it holds to O2. Also, you only dip 1 large fish or a few small fish at a time, again it is an O2 thing. Lastly, I recommend using a 5 gal bucket, it is easier on clean up. And you can put the lid on it slightly to give the fish extra darkness for stress prevention.

Ok what Raj did not answer was how much Formalin to use. The answer... 2tsp per gal of saltwater. This will give you 200ml/l of the good stuff. Do not sand over the bucket, do not snort this stuff, it is pretty nasty. Just throw it in, give it a mix and then put in the meth blue and then the airstone. You can use the dip over and over (in the same day), just make sure that you give about 15 min break in between for the airstone to "recharge" the water with O2.

Hope that helps guys.

One more thing- I would not provide ANY other stress to a fish in a formalin bath. That stuff is nasty (its formaldehyde), so I would strongly advise against doing so in anything but the actual water the fish is living in. Do not skip the airstone step (it is important), and dont put the fish in and leave and do something else. Watch it closely- if it starts showing distress get it out.

don't use RO. It's too difficult to maintain the proper ph. If done correctly, it's safe....IF!

There are less variables to deal with when using tank water.

Back