How to frag

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
Got a question got a kenyan tree coral that is doing very well just wandering how to frag n what i will need to frag it?

Wait for the tenticles to fall off naturally is best from my understanding, but you can alway break one off.

See, who needs fragging demos?!?

Yes, the BEST way is wait till it is "mature" and it will drop off fraggs on its own. you will get more frags that way in the long run. If you are just looking to keep it under control, just cut off a branch that you want.

Or slice with a very sharpe razor blade. If you apply too much pressure by pinching and pulling, some powdery-looking stuff comes out. I can't imagine they like being squeezed...

Keep in mind that "stuff" that comes out is considered to be a toxic substance to many other corals from my understanding. A little bit doesn't seem to hurt in a larger tank though.

razor blade or scissors have worked for me.....than again mine drops babies all the time.

They do drop babies all the time. If you feel the need to cut it, make sure that you remove it from the tank, cut it clean with a razor or scalpel and rinse it in water before putting it back.

I have about 8-10 little Kenya Corals growing all over my tank. A good mature Kenya will drop several in a month.

Lol, how do you get it to STOP fragging???

I didn't want it to frag all over my tank. Luckily, the one piece that did fall off, went under my rocks, so hopefully it will die.

Now it is in my frag tank.

Frag yourself all you want now, lil buddy!

I think I'm going to move mine into my fige and use it as a source of natural filtration.....wonder how that will work....I mean they are a filter feeding coral, hmmmm.

Maveri9720;41186 wrote: Lol, how do you get it to STOP fragging???

I didn't want it to frag all over my tank. Luckily, the one piece that did fall off, went under my rocks, so hopefully it will die.

Now it is in my frag tank.

Frag yourself all you want now, lil buddy!

hehhe tell it to go "frag itself"

I have heard of good things putting them in a fuge. Them and xenia

glxtrix;41198 wrote: I think I'm going to move mine into my fige and use it as a source of natural filtration.....wonder how that will work....I mean they are a filter feeding coral, hmmmm.

I have been reading ALOT on natural filters like this. (Calfo has written a good amount on the subject) Believe it or not, one of the best things for this is aiptasia. You load a "fuge" with them and they scrub the water clean of anything that floats by. Interesting stuff, I think I will try it in the future, just not with my display tank!

ok got a question, got 33gallon reef with 10gal sump, all has been well with all
corals, now all of a sudden my xenia just schrivveled up, what is wrong or is it
just being moody

jeep9783;41996 wrote: ok got a question, got 33gallon reef with 10gal sump, all has been well with all
corals, now all of a sudden my xenia just schrivveled up, what is wrong or is it
just being moody

Xenia are a good indicator of overall water quality. Check you perameters. If all your perms check out, then my guess is you need a bit of trace elements (iodine mainely). Try a good 20% water change and some "Reef Plus" from Seachem.

Xyzpdq0121;42518 wrote: Xenia are a good indicator of overall water quality. Check you perameters. If all your perms check out, then my guess is you need a bit of trace elements (iodine mainely). Try a good 20% water change and some "Reef Plus" from Seachem.

i agree with this to an extent, but at the same time, water quality can be kind of crappy and xenia will still thrive. in other tanks where water quality is perfect xenia doesnt do well or fades away.
nishant

That is true that xennias will survive in bad water conditions. before i got my biocube i had a nano cube from this guy that did not change the water for six months....
he had a bigger tank so he put his atention thier and when i got it i started to do water changes and they stoped growing so much b.c before you could say a xennia ever week or two would appear so i had a xennia covered tank.

I guess I should elaborate a bit... Xenia and PH/Iodine indicators. If one of those two things is defunct you can look at your xenia and know before anyother coral. Softis in general like dirty water.

jeep9783;41996 wrote: ok got a question, got 33gallon reef with 10gal sump, all has been well with all
just being moody
Xenia don't like high flow and the love dirty water not just tolerate it. They are also semi-sensiitive to high lighting. That said, they can still melt down at the drop of a hat. I struggle keeping mine alive, but have found slowing the flow and hitting it with some seriously nasty water from time to time seems to keep it happy.

Back