How to kill xenia

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Had a rock that had some xenia on it.You know the story. Its spreading. I didn't put it in.Some how it hitched hiked on something. I only have sps in tank, (well so i thought.)How to SAFELY kill it Since i can't take rock out.

Fluke tabs if you can find them. They don't make them any more but can be had

Fishlips;1062859 wrote: Are these 100% safe.

I'm not sure anything is 100% safe. They can burn whatever they land on. You have do apply it properly meaning, turn off all flow within the tank, dose the area you want to kill with the paste, wait at least 15 mins but the longer you wait to return flow, the more effective it is.

I must have to most well behaved Xenia because it started out as a frag and spread over an entire rock then stopped growing completely lol

you can also do a kalkwasser paste before yopu do your water change because it will raise your ph and alk depending on how much you use.
it will brun and kill anything it touches so I make my paste a little thick so it doesn't run everywhere.

I'm scared, But if I don't do something, I will be in trouble.

Put an acan next to it. The acan will kill it. I had a rock with Xenia near one of my acan colonies and two different clusters where completely killed when they touched it. They just turn white, shrivel up, and disappeared.

huskerreefatl;1062888 wrote: Put an acan next to it. The acan will kill it. I had a rock with Xenia near one of my acan colonies and two different clusters where completely killed when they touched it. They just turn white, shrivel up, and disappeared.

That's my suggestion as well.. Xenia is pretty low on the chemical warfare chain. Put something mean next to it.

Fishlips;1062898 wrote: What about Joe's juice.

Same thing as Aptasia X although when I've used it in the past, the results weren't as good. You can beef it's potency up a bit by adding pickling lime (found at the grocery store in the pickling supplies) to it and making it a bit thicker.

Thanks,guys.I guess I will order something to night.

Fishlips;1062953 wrote: Thanks,guys.I guess I will order something to night.

Why order something and pay high $$$ for it when you can make your own for less than $5? Just go to any grocery store that carries canning supplies and find pickling lime (I use Mrs. Winter's found at Kroger). You get 1 lb of powder for just a few dollars. I believe there might even be instructions in Reef Discussion on how to make the paste.

I will look for the instructions, just got home.If anyone has them ,or can point me to it ,much appreciated.

You could probably run to a LFS and get a single acan head or something similar for $15....just an option and you add something to your tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I accidentally dropped my salinity from 1.025 to 1.022 when my ATO went nuts and that killed my xenia in less than 3 hours.

Other than that ripping off the stalks and kalk paste on the stumps works as well. But turn off the pumps and let the paste sit overnight.

Xenia can move too, if it's being irritated, it will just crawl away.

Just FYI.

Jenn

Seriously, I didn't even put it in my tank. To bad there is not a fish that will eat it.Let me ask this, does it sting other coral.

Back