how to silence a dorso drain into the sump

I had this issue with my dorso (water looking like it was boiling or putting out a lot of bubbles as it drains from the pipe in the sump/filter sock). What eliminated the issue for me was lowering the flow from my return. I have a VarioS pump (DC pump) once I reduced the return flow I was able to address the noise issue. I tried the airline hose and while it reduced the gurgle it created a whistle and I still had the bubbling/boiling water issue in the sump. I also have some horizontal pipe that drains into the sump. If I really want to kill all noise in the sump then I have to put filter floss in the socks and there is almost zero noise in the sump.

Your description of the noise matches my issue to a T.

I have a dc pump already and reduced it to the lowest setting, but there is still too much noise.

Tell me more about this filter floss. Does it reduce the amount of flow? Any down sides?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I will send a pic later today of my sump and how I have it setup. But for reference it is the trigger tideline sump. It has two filter socks and I can place filter floss in the first sock and that reduces the crashing sound of the water flowing into the sock. I have not noticed any reduction in flow. I also have a cap I put in the sock to allow the flow to flow more smoothly into the sump. I think I can see a pipe going into your sock. Is that correct?

Ok so your pump let's the water dump into the sock, so there is space between the drain and the water.

I have a pipe in the bottom of the bulk head on my sump that extends slightly below the water line. I added that to get rid of some of the falling water sound. So now I have the boiling water instead of the water fall sounds. Which is quieter but still too loud

I just tried the hose down the vent in the top of the dorso. It causes it to put a full siphon on the Dog so.

Which leads me to the big question: what size hole does everyone have in the top of the cap? Is it possible mine is just too small? It's 1/8" now

GaJeep94YJ;1104967 wrote: I just tried the hose down the vent in the top of the dorso. It causes it to put a full siphon on the Dog so.

Which leads me to the big question: what size hole does everyone have in the top of the cap? Is it possible mine is just too small? It's 1/8" now

That is possible. If you look at the general directions for building a durso, it tells you to start with a small hole then enlarge it until the noise stops.

porpoiseaquatics;1104968 wrote: that is possible. If you look at the general directions for building a durso, it tells you to start with a small hole then enlarge it until the noise stops.

+1

I'm about to use this as target practice....

I drilled the hole out.

All it did was move the main noise from the sump to the top of the dorso.

So now instead of a boiling water sound, I have a boiling water sound into a mega phone....

Oh yea, I drilled it out a 1/16" at a time. I'm up to 3/8" hole

So here are some pics of my sump and overflow so you can see how I have things plumbed/setup. I put filter floss inside of the sock with the black plastic insert. I made that out of the top of a salt bucket.

7a934c2e92deddd8e5c4c98473f094e2.jpg
alt="" />
8701549b227e8c6490e66c80c72b9cb6.jpg
alt="" />
8b4b536aab9de8a3770163266381dc87.jpg
alt="" />

Yours looks similar to mine.

How is the water level in the overflowcompared to the tank?

I wonder if I'm just having too high of expectations considering my only other tank has the completely silent bean animal overflow

GaJeep94YJ;1104983 wrote: Yours looks similar to mine.

How is the water level in the overflowcompared to the tank?

Just slightly below as the drain stand pipe is lower. Maybe 1/2in. My overflow stand pipe is 1 1/2 my return is 3/4.

Back