How would you increase zooxanthellae in your anenomes?

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I thought I would start this discussion since it's been pointed out that my Neon Pink BTA's are missing zooxanthellae and that's why they are the color they are. I'll disagree but that's another discussion. I'm interested to know exactly how one would increase zooxanthellae in an anenome. I ask because I have one in another tank that has done exactly the same thing. Both tanks are dosed with phyto and all anenomes are fed table shrimp and have been for over 2 years now.

The true needs of our animals diet is above my knowledge nor do I have time or interest to study such in depth material scientifically.
Therefore I use a variety of reputable brands of phyto as well as foods. Also feeding these foods at different times throughout the week. I do nighttime feedings as well as daytime feedings. In reference to feedings I'm including products such as Red Sea reef energy and products of the like...
It's not that I don't trust one as being good, I just feel that "I"don't know it's true ingredients, caliber in quality, correct preparation, packaging and shelf life. The fact that corals feed at different times and it different lighting is also considered in my feeding schedule.

My recommendation is to give it a variety in diet and feedings with multiple products that you know and trust.

"Advanced Aquarium"
Zooxanthellae are acquired by corals in two ways: first, they may be given a "starter culture" by the parent if the parent colony broods its planulae. Alternately, in corals that release sperm and eggs into the water and where fertilization takes place externally in the water column, planulae (lacking zooxanthellae) can swallow the algae from the water column. Once swallowed, the algae are not digested but are brought into the cell and put into a small intracellular bag called a vacuole. Once inside the vacuole, they are "trapped" and somewhat at the mercy of the coral polyp. The golden brown algae reproduce within the cell and form a dense, but very thin layer within the polyp. The zooxanthellae are found mainly in the inner tissue layer of corals called the gastroderm, although they can occasionally be found in the outer layer (ectoderm) and are in the tentacles of day-feeding corals. Night feeding corals have transparent tentacles that normally lack zooxanthellae.
This article has been updated and is way above my interest and knowledge of interest but you did get me started :)

Don't know the answer either, but that was a pretty good read.

FWIW, my RBTA turned pink to white while my tank struggled. It is actually rebounding nicely, as the Reds and greens have come back. The size is still small, but the colors are coming back. I have done nothing but focus on water quality. No feeding.

I've had a couple of my rock flower anemones attempt to kill themselves by getting "lost" under a ledge in my rockwork. Each time I eventually spot them somewhere reachable as they wander and can move them back to a lit spot. Always pale, always having eaten the reserves in their tentacles to the point that they're down to nubs. Takes a couple months of daily feeding of varied small-size food (cyclopeze, decapsualted brine shrimp eggs, minced LRS) and decent lighting to get them back to normal.

I think that if you acclimated the anemone to brighter lighting or extended your photo period a bit its zooxanthellae would reproduce more quickly. Or are your anemones completely white at this point?

BulkRate;1064904 wrote: I've had a couple of my rock flower anemones attempt to kill themselves by getting "lost" under a ledge in my rockwork. Each time I eventually spot them somewhere reachable as they wander and can move them back to a lit spot. Always pale, always having eaten the reserves in their tentacles to the point that they're down to nubs. Takes a couple months of daily feeding of varied small-size food (cyclopeze, decapsualted brine shrimp eggs, minced LRS) and decent lighting to get them back to normal.

I think that if you acclimated the anemone to brighter lighting or extended your photo period a bit its zooxanthellae would reproduce more quickly. Or are your anemones completely white at this point?

They've been under everything from full spectrum LED to MH to a mixture of all 3 without any change in appearance. The two in my DT have neon pink bubble tips with white tentacles. The one in my QT tank is also under LEDs and has now gone completely white.

Weird. Most pictures I've seen of neon pink BTAs look bleached-white with pink highlighting, but that's just me.

Post a pic of yous, Jeff?

BulkRate;1064913 wrote: Weird. Most pictures I've seen of neon pink BTAs look bleached-white with pink highlighting, but that's just me.

Post a pic of yous, Jeff?

That's exactly what mine look like. They've been that way for 2+ years. While the color is stable, their size isn't stable lately...they seem to shrinking a little actually.

I subscribe to the "lotsa little feedings" approach in my tank, once a day with only occasional 2-3 day gaps. Any time I go for larger, less frequent feedings something ends up losing out and it's usually my anemones.

Maybe target feed them from a baster of something easy to break down every couple days to see if they start growing?

BulkRate;1064936 wrote: I subscribe to the "lotsa little feedings" approach in my tank, once a day with only occasional 2-3 day gaps. Any time I go for larger, less frequent feedings something ends up losing out and it's usually my anemones.

Maybe target feed them from a baster of something easy to break down every couple days to see if they start growing?

That's exactly where I'm heading next.

How clean is your water? My rose bubble loves my dirty water!

Jvb89;1065001 wrote: How clean is your water? My rose bubble loves my dirty water!

I'd say not very clean. Last week I tested at about 15ppm Nitrates which is odd given that I have 2 clams in the DT and cheato in the sump. I think that was actually due to a maintenance issue (lack of cleaning a sponge on my part) that I remedied this past weekend.

Hmm. How much par is it getting? Mine is at about 120 with my a160we and t5 retro.

Jvb89;1065006 wrote: Hmm. How much par is it getting? Mine is at about 120 with my a160we and t5 retro.

Without a PAR meter...I don't know exactly but given that I have an AI Hydra, AI Vega and a Reef Onyx (all full spectrum) LED over the tank.....I'd say somewhere in the 250 range at 24" deep.

I would say it could be getting to much light but I would assume that it would just move itself

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jvb89;1065031 wrote: I would say it could be getting to much light but I would assume that it would just move itself

That would also be my assumption and it hasn't moved in 2 years.

If it's full and healthy I would say it's just it's color morph

My friend has some that color like yours jeff I brought one home back in the summer and put it in my frag tank , it's lower light , the nem split shortly after the trip home and the 2 have colored up a lot eating Hikari coralife delight , it's all I feed , you mix it with water and let it swell up and thicken then just shoot it in to place with a syringe or baster it's like toothpaste almost but the anemones digest it completely where with shrimp or fish they spit something out every time.
I feed every 8 to 10 days sometime more frequently it's really clean and easy to feed to all lps and anemones.

porpoiseaquatics;1065046 wrote: Well I said that too and got blasted for it.

I've seen your nems for several years now and they have always remained the same color and remained in the same spot as they always have even with the light changes you have made. Personally, I think they are just morphed.

Back