humidity issues

cdub

Market
Reaction score
so my new fish room in my garage has one flaw, the humidity. i have heard of two suggestions, a vent fan running outside and a dehumidifier. i've looked around and the dehumidifier seems fairly expensive. does anyone else have a good suggestion?

A dehumidifier is a blessing and a curse. They are really hot and not very energy efficient but they do work. If you can vent the dehumidifier out of the room then that is really a good option but those are usually pretty pricey! A vent fan is probably the best and cheapest option but you will need to make sure the rest of the baseent isn't that humid or your just replacing humid air with humid air.

I guess you are talking about the air being drawn in to replace the air that is being moved outside? The humidity level should be lower or else he would have had humidty issue before the fishroom came into play.

I agree that the Vent fan is the best idea though.

I agree with aj..those are your two best options. Your adding heated water vapor to the existing air in the room. your only two choices seem to be moving the air by means of ventalation or neutralize the humidity of the air.
i know it may seem redunant, but....

I bought an inexpensive goldstar dehumidifier at HD.

While the collection pan is small it has a nice feature of being able to plumb it with an inexpensive hose to a drain which means you don't have it shutting off every other day for a full pan.

This thing was less than two bills.

An inexpensive fart fan in the ceiling or wall will also move the damp air out. You can vent it into the garage or if I remember right your room has an exterior wall which you can vent to.

A simple pigtail will enable you to plug the fart fan into a socket (instead of hard wiring if your uncomfortable with that) and you can even use a timer so it's not runing 24/7.

home depot has attic fans at...24" for about $75.00 that can be plugged in.

it seems that a vent fan is going to run me around $125-150 plus the time to install it, where the dehumidifier is going to run about $189 plus a tube to a bucket. so i think i'm going with a dehumidifier.

Don't overlook the cost of running your chosen solution. A typical bathroom fan draws less than 25 watts, a "30 pint" dehumidifier can draw 450 watts. You could run the bathroom fan 25X7 for $21.90 per year while running said dehumidifyier for 4 hours a day will run you $65.70 per year. If the dehumidifier runs 12 hours a day, the anual cost is more like $197.10

You should also consider a chiller. By running a chiller to cool your tank instead of evaporation, you can greatly reduce or eliminate the humidity problem.

my tank is only running at 78 degrees so i'm not sure how much cooler i would want to run it. as for the cost i'm just not sure if the attic fan will do as good of a job as the dehumidifier.

i don't have a window in the room so it would be going from my fish room into the garage.

you can use an inline booster fan to vent the air outside. You can get one for $60 that will be more powerful than any bathroom type vent fan available. they're round fans designed to be installed in-line in the duct work. I use this and have it ducted to the outside. When the fan turns off, the outside vent-flap closes, preventing anything from entering.

also, the blades are plastic!

I believe it uses 45 watts.

sounds like the fart fan is the way to go-if you've got a way of getting it out somewhere

I thought dehumidifiers often struggled to keep ahead of the tank evap when they aren't sufficiently sized and knowing what that size is can be tricky. From the couple people I talked to that used them, both said venting was a better choice.

I tried to run a decent LG dehumidifier at Petland Dunwoody. The first one made it 3 months. The only time it turned off was when the bucket was full, which was every 12 hours period.

The second one made it 6 months. The extra warranty got me a full refund on them. Those things dump a fair amount of heat into the air. Make sure it's properly vented, too. Too close to a wall and you risk them overheating and burning out.

what type of booster fan are you using? also did you have to buy an auto closing vent for it?

Back