Hydor Koralia Pumps

george

Market
Reaction score
I just got my Hydor Model 3 today and here's my initial rundown:

Cost: $40 at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15955&inm=1&N=2004+22788+2035">Dr's Foster and Smith</a>
Rated at 850 gph @ 6.5 watts.

Installation was a snap. I have provided a bunch of photos of the box, pump, disassembled parts and size references. That's a quarter for size reference.

When the pump starts, there's a possibility of rattle from the impeller blade because it can slide the length of the metal shaft it turns on, but it did not cavitate the way my Seios do on startup.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/18348=1225-Box Contents ARC.jpg>
18348=1225-Box Contents ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Box Contents ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1223-Box.jpg
>
18348=1223-Box.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Box.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1230-Impeller ARC.jpg
>
18348=1230-Impeller ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Impeller ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1226-Mount ARC.jpg
>
18348=1226-Mount ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Mount ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1227-Mount Disassembled ARC.jpg
>
18348=1227-Mount Disassembled ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Mount Disassembled ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1228-Pump ARC.jpg
>
18348=1228-Pump ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Pump ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1229-Pump Disassembled ARC.jpg
>
18348=1229-Pump Disassembled ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Pump Disassembled ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18348=1231-Reference 1 ARC.jpg
>
18348=1231-Reference 1 ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reference 1 ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

More pictures. Including one of my tank with a Seio on the left and the Hydor on the right.
<legend> Attached files </legend>
18349=1232-Reference 2 ARC.jpg
>
18349=1232-Reference 2 ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reference 2 ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18349=1233-Size vs Seio ARC.jpg
>
18349=1233-Size vs Seio ARC.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Size vs Seio ARC.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Initial quality of this pump looks to be quite good. Better design and build than Seios. I can't comment on it vs. Tunze because I've never owned a Tunze.

There is a tiny buzz if you stick your ear real near the tank, but that's in comparison to a 620 gph Seio.

It's open design is probably not shielding noise like the Seio does.

George wrote: There is a tiny buzz if you stick your ear real near the tank, but that's in comparison to a 620 gph Seio.

It's open design is probably not shielding noise like the Seio does.

Thats weird i cant hear a peep out of my Koralia 4's.I must be going deaf.

So I got 2 of the Koralia's today too (Model 3). They both create a lot of flow, and together they're about as loud as an air pump. I'm quite happy with them since I was able to mount them in the way that I hoped I could (I have a 92-gallon corner, and I actually wanted to mount them from above rather than on the side against the glass).

So far, I'm thinking I'll either keep them on always, or get a timer and keep them on for 6-8 hours a day while I'm away at work.

By the way, the sticker on the powerhead itself says that they're 10W, not the 6.5W as listed on http://www.drsfostersmith.com">www.drsfostersmith.com</a>.

David
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/18376=1234-Aquarium 045 Small.jpg>
18376=1234-Aquarium 045 Small.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Aquarium 045 Small.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
18376=1235-Aquarium 052 Small.jpg
>
18376=1235-Aquarium 052 Small.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Aquarium 052 Small.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

So Dr's Foster & Smith have already taken advantage of the demand and raised the price as much as 35%! So now it would cost me about as much to get the Model 1's as I paid for the Model 3's last week.

I love supply and demand!

David

OMG!!! That is so lame of them. Not to mention, if you price them that high, I'll definitely do Tunze Nanostreams.

George, it appears that you have a modified Maxijet and a Koralia. If so, what model mj is it and how does it compare to the Koralia regarding flow?

Thanks,

Bob

Lifestudent wrote: George, it appears that you have a modified Maxijet and a Koralia. If so, what model mj is it and how does it compare to the Koralia regarding flow?

Thanks,

Bob

I didn't see the Maxijet. Are you referring to the SEIO?

Lifestudent wrote: George, it appears that you have a modified Maxijet and a Koralia. If so, what model mj is it and how does it compare to the Koralia regarding flow?
Many modified Maxijets do a good impersonation of a Seio, but that's a Seio 620 on the left side of my tank. Given that the modified Maxijets do function similarly to Seios:

Due to the significantly less open design of the Seio, if it is placed too close to the water surface, it has a tendency to cause sucking vortexes that not only add micro bubbles, but are pretty annoying as they come in 2's and 3's of "slurping" noises. The Hydor does not have this problem with it's more Tunze-like design.

However, given that everyone's jacking their prices on the Hydors, I'd give the Tunze nanostream pumps a serious look. After ARC discount on the MRC site, the price difference is about $10 for the 660 gph Tunze vs. the 600 gph Hydor. The Nanostreams top out higher, but Hydor has the niche in between Tunze's 660 gph to 1189 gph gap, however with the 850 gph model which I'm glad I bought.

I will definatly look into all of these options once my MaxiJets fail. DSmitchell I LOVE the way you mounted those Hydors! If I end up doing this would you show me how you did this?

Maroons15 wrote: I will definatly look into all of these options once my MaxiJets fail. DSmitchell I LOVE the way you mounted those Hydors! If I end up doing this would you show me how you did this?

Maxijets fail? Good luck with that!

Never had one fail. Chewed through the impeller fins on one, but the motor and magnet assembly still works fine.

You'll be waiting a loooong time for failure.

Aw man .......Well no thats good. I just like the idea of these things more. A lot more water movement and not as many pumps needed.

man, i wish they did not jack up those prices, i would have bought a couple, and was actually getting ready to order some pretty darn soon...if only i was a bit faster in decision making.....

Maroons15 wrote: I will definatly look into all of these options once my MaxiJets fail. DSmitchell I LOVE the way you mounted those Hydors! If I end up doing this would you show me how you did this?

Sure, I'll show you when you're ready. My mounting option, though, is a function of the shape of my tank since, as a corner tank, there is some plastic laying horizontally over the left and the right of the tank. Your tank may or may not have such a thing.

Let me know.

David

dsmitchell wrote: Sure, I'll show you when you're ready. My mounting option, though, is a function of the shape of my tank since, as a corner tank, there is some plastic laying horizontally over the left and the right of the tank. Your tank may or may not have such a thing.

Let me know.

David

Thanks man but by the way it sounds it will be awhile because of these darn Maxi jets lol.

Back