Hydros Controller?

Honestly not really. Especially since Apex now has the Apex EL. For $50 more you can have an apex that you know is going to work and has worked for quite awhile. Personally I would wait for a year or so to see if it has an issues and the actually reviews before I would even consider this. Just my 2 cents though.

We don't have an Apex yet, though a real tank controller on the list next. I've been looking at that CoralVue Hydros 4 controller as an alternative. Aside from the lack of salinity probe (they say it was excluded because the consumer level ones are unreliable), I don't think it's missing much that you would get with the Apex EL. Their wave engine seems to be well received. Having that as a separate module probably also helped to keep costs lower.

Just pulled the "Trigger" on a new Platinum 34 sump today with the built in 10" rollermat. No more filter socks. So excited. :)

A tank controller is the next big upgrade and is on the Christmas list. We'll see if we settle on the Hydros 4 or the Apex. Apex has more modules available for it and has been around a lot longer. Weighing both options right now.

Yeah that price point is steep.

I'm pretty heavily invested in the Apex system. Although just like anything else, competition is good. Also just like any new products this complex, I'm not going to be an early adopter. Neptune had plenty of issues with the latest controller in 2016. They've also had problems with many of their other products. On top of that there are outright failures with EB832's, base units, pumps...

This segment of the hobby needs some more competition. It keeps companies honest and lowers prices. Inside these components the electronic boards are quite simple. Neptune's logic that controls everything is very antiquated. Without competing products they have little reason to innovate. Why when profits are high and there isn't any incentive.

I hope Coralvue has a good product to bring to market. A couple years will tell.

I'm pretty heavily invested in the Apex system. Although just like anything else, competition is good. Also just like any new products this complex, I'm not going to be an early adopter. Neptune had plenty of issues with the latest controller in 2016. They've also had problems with many of their other products. On top of that there are outright failures with EB832's, base units, pumps...

This segment of the hobby needs some more competition. It keeps companies honest and lowers prices. Inside these components the electronic boards are quite simple. Neptune's logic that controls everything is very antiquated. Without competing products they have little reason to innovate. Why when profits are high and there isn't any incentive.

I hope Coralvue has a good product to bring to market. A couple years will tell.
I've heard that APEX is flexing their muscles and getting retailers to not sell this controller.

Agreed after reefkeeper went under that was about it for competition for the most part.

I am pretty surprised that some propeller head hasn't made a good open source Raspberry Pi controller yet.

So I got a Hydros Control 2 today. I already had 3 Hydros wave engines integrated with 3 Apex controllers. I have had very good luck with the wave engines. The Hydros Control 2 can't do everything that the Apex can. But at $199 it is an incredible option for entry-level or for a redundant monitor. I won't be replacing any of my Apex but I will be adding a couple as backup monitors. It uses the same app as the wave engine. It is both local and cloud-based. Compared to the other apps that have come out recently in this hobby, it is by far the best. Still, a long way to go for it to catch up with fusion. The packaging and build quality are very good.

Back