I am confused.

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
While that shouldn't surprise anyone, this is a particular instances of my confusion. :)

Been getting consistently low readings on Alk and high readings on magnesium ever since I set up my tank. I started using a dosing pump a few weeks back and didn't see any movement. Today was the same so I manually dosed 3.5 Fl. Oz of BRS two part Alk. Considering I have a 120 with about 40 gal in the sump, that should have raised it about 1 dkh. Just tested again with both Seachem and RedSea and I am still getting 2.5 meqL (Seachem) or 5.6 dkh (RedSea).

Tank parameters are.....

Temp 77.3
Sal 1.024
PH 8.16
AM 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos less than .05
Cal 450
Alk 5.6 dkh
Mag above 1600

I have been battling Hair Algae for several weeks and it seems to be doing better. Jeremy and I talked at the meeting last week and he indicated that the High Mag would come down if I got Alk up and that the hair algae could be because of the low alk.

What am I missing here. I am going to take a water sample in today and get an LFS to confirm my readings. Test kits are a bit old but not way old.

What salt are you using? Are you seeing alk consumption? Sounds like a bad salt batch.. Do you test alk after making water?

I am using IO. No coral in the tank at the moment. I have the few frags in my QT with a member modified over them so should be no consumption other that HA. LOL

I left the lights off for a week which got rid of a ton of the algae but not all.

Pure Reef confirmed my readings on all but mag. They don't test for mag. Also gave some good advice as I would expect. Nice having two top notch LFS relatively close.

Anyone ever use baking soda to boost ALK?

i have, I used this info!

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html">http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html</a> (from RC)

Basically 2.5 teaspoons I think would raise 1 DKH.

How did you get HA I a new tank?

Any chance that the Alk you dosed was bad, or not Alk? Not sure a supplement could go bad, but maybe...

I have mixed my BRS two part up before.

Camellia;1018144 wrote: i have, I used this info!

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html">http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html</a> (from RC)

Basically 2.5 teaspoons I think would raise 1 DKH.

How did you get HA I a new tank?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. The rock sat for a couple of years and then I soaked it in vinegar water for a couple days. It started showing up before I put anything other than fish in the tank.

JBDreefs;1018149 wrote: Any chance that the Alk you dosed was bad, or not Alk? Not sure a supplement could go bad, but maybe...

I have mixed my BRS two part up before.

Been using BRS.

rdnelson99;1018086 wrote: While that shouldn't surprise anyone, this is a particular instances of my confusion. :)

Been getting consistently low readings on Alk and high readings on magnesium ever since I set up my tank. I started using a dosing pump a few weeks back and didn't see any movement. Today was the same so I manually dosed 3.5 Fl. Oz of BRS two part Alk. Considering I have a 120 with about 40 gal in the sump, that should have raised it about 1 dkh. Just tested again with both Seachem and RedSea and I am still getting 2.5 meqL (Seachem) or 5.6 dkh (RedSea).

Tank parameters are.....

Temp 77.3
Sal 1.024
PH 8.16
AM 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos less than .05
Cal 450
Alk 5.6 dkh
Mag above 1600

I have been battling Hair Algae for several weeks and it seems to be doing better. Jeremy and I talked at the meeting last week and he indicated that the High Mag would come down if I got Alk up and that the hair algae could be because of the low alk.

What am I missing here. I am going to take a water sample in today and get an LFS to confirm my readings. Test kits are a bit old but not way old.

He is an effing idiot if he is suggesting anything but nutrient removal....GFO, Carbon, Large water changes, bio-pellets, carbon dosing, etc...

Ralph ATL;1018219 wrote: He is an effing idiot if he is suggesting anything but nutrient removal....GFO, Carbon, Large water changes, bio-pellets, carbon dosing, etc...

LOL. I have a pair of clowns, 3 Chromis and a Blenny. No corals. I have a RO skimmer with 2 neck extensions and. BB pump. 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate and maybe 0.02 Phosphate. What nutrients do you want me to remove??? :)

Something is leaching phosphorus and phosphate...sand, food, rock, whatever, algae needs food!

rdnelson99;1018225 wrote: LOL. I have a pair of clowns, 3 Chromis and a Blenny. No corals. I have a RO skimmer with 2 neck extensions and. BB pump. 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate and maybe 0.02 Phosphate. What nutrients do you want me to remove??? :)

Your HA is consuming phosphates which I why it's not registering.

I understand that. However I have killed off 95% of the hair algae and still have undetectable levels. That has been verified by my tests as well as by Pure Reefs Tests. Both George at Pure Reef and Jeremy at Sea agree that low Alk is at the very least playing a big part in it.

But never the less, my OP is concerned with the best way to get my Alk up where it should be more than a concern over HA. Once I am around 7 dKH I will worry about the HA. :)

I am just thinking... Watch out!

So if you dose, with no real effect, then it must be precipitating out? What causes that to happen?

I thought this was a pretty good article.

a>

Back