I am confused.

Thanks John. I have seen that one before and it is excellent. However, I believe I have found the problem. I am using BRS two part. Included in that is Soda Ash (Sodium Cabonate, Na2CO3). That is not Backing Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate, NaHCO3). So, what I have been dosing, is not what I have needed to be dosing. Now I am even more confused. Why does BRS use Soda Ash?

I think it does fine for maintaining but not for raising in larger increments.

A few months ago I started to see some hair algae growing in the fuge. After testing magnesium it was reading 1600 (seachem test kit) and was confirmed with the LFS. Consequentially I run Alk at 8.5 max after daily dosing. As soon as I dropped my magnesium back down to 1375 through consumption and regular water changes, it went away completely. Not sure if it's a direct correlation of not?

rdnelson99;1018306 wrote: I think it does fine for maintaining but not for raising in larger increments.

That is it exactly. Soda ash will keep and maintain parameters with a larger focus on ph. Adjusting Alk should be done with products geared towards bicarbonates like baking soda. Your saying it perfect Rich, I think your confusing yourself is all.

DawgFace;1018335 wrote: That is it exactly. Soda ash will keep and maintain parameters with a larger focus on ph. Adjusting Alk should be done with products geared towards bicarbonates like baking soda. Your saying it perfect Rich, I think your confusing yourself is all.

Yup. Picked up the baking soda today when I took my Mother-In-Law to Wally World (over by you Jessie). .50 for a box. LOL. This hobby can be so expensive yet .50 can save the day. :)

Fwiw I've had great luck with Seachems Aquavitro 8.4 when poised with unstable PH to akl. Kept me from venturing down the road of chasing one number and then the other.

check your overflow food might be collecting down there.i try to clean my overflows atleast every month

Baking soda raises ph minimally, while soda ash does raise it. While getting your Alk to eight or nine is very critical, it shouldn't do much for your algae problem.

That seems to be contrary to what two of our most trusted LFS say Ralph. But, the point of this thread was not the algae but why the Alk was not coming up. :)

On that note, I mixed 5 tsp o baking soda in 2 cups of water. At 6:00 last night I dosed 3.5 fl oz of the mix. At 5:00 am I dosed another 3.5 fl oz. As of 6:30 tonight I have gone from 5.5 dKH to 6.5 dKH so I think I am on the right track. Once I get it stable between 8 & 9 for a while I will worry about the algae if it is still a problem. In the meantime, I am keeping the lights off for a while to knock out what remains. Than we will see if it comes back or not.

The few corals I have are in the QT with a good light so there is no hurry.

Hang in there Rich. You'll get there soon. Good thing is that you don't have any corals in that tank to worry about parameter swings for now :)

rdnelson99;1018603 wrote: That seems to be contrary to what two of our most trusted LFS say Ralph. But, the point of this thread was not the algae but why the Alk was not coming up. :)

I am sorry to state that yes, one of those men is smarter than me about kangaroos & angelfish. Nutrient reduction and ALK, nah....

Ralph ATL;1018662 wrote: I am sorry to state that yes, one of those men is smarter than me about kangaroos & angelfish. Nutrient reduction and ALK, nah....

LOL. I am going to tell George you said that. Hehehe

Back