I am SOOOO PO'ed Purgien ALL in My display, it looks like SNOW!!!!!!

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I SSSSOOOO want to junk my whole system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After years of managing crystal clear water, a filter bag unraveled sending purgien throught my system, EVERYTHING is covered in white specks! After a few hours, it will settle but one blow of a baster makes the whole tank look like a snow globe for hours.

I know chemically that purgien wont hurt anything in my tank, but will the minut particle size irritate my LPS and clams?

I'm so close to breaking this thing down and taking a break! I HATE TO SEE STUFF FLOATING IN THE WATER!!!!!!! That's why my tank always looks so crystal clear is my disgust for floating debris, and now thats all I have.

Sick of it, hate it, totally disgusted by the site of it!

God I hate this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man... I feel bad about laughing right now, but the same thing happened to my friend, TWICE! I guess rig an airline tube up to your Magnum and get crackin. Anything that your LPSs don't like they'll cover with slime and ooze back into the water. The clam will just blast it out with a quick squirt.

Maybe put a foam filter around a pump in the tank and turkey baster everything. The foam should filter it out eventually.

I run mine in a small micron bag in a canister with a foam filter behind it for this reason. You have to change those filters out regularly, but small price to pay to prevent this problem.

Cameron;124773 wrote: Maybe put a foam filter around a pump in the tank and turkey baster everything. The foam should filter it out eventually.

I run mine in a small micron bag in a canister with a foam filter behind it for this reason. You have to change those filters out regularly, but small price to pay to prevent this problem.

That's a much better idea.

bro Im sorry !!!! that really sucks. and believe me I FEEL YOUR PAIN. from a lime overdose to a complete death of my corals because of that #$%*ing heater! all within 3-weeks....Would almost be enough for anyone to get out...but we gotta do it for the children,dakota..........(sigh).........we gotta do it for the children. j/k ...take a breath, drink a beer....come back to it bit by bit...its always worth it.

Hopefully, crap will attract to the purgien and make it heavier and keep it out of the water coloum, then I can vaccuum it up with the magnum.... I'll give it till the weekend and then whip out the Mag 350 and just go at it.......

<span style="color: black;">Stir and vacuum it into a sock sitting inside your sump.</span>

I have one of those hand vacuums that you attach a filter to. You are welcome to borrow it. Not very powerful, but maybe good enough to get the job done.

Dakota, I have plenty of Micron socks you can borrow...

BTW: Dakota, I am moving this topic out of the RNC area since it might be a rant but better off elsewhere. ;)

It'll decompose by itself if you give it enough time... :)

Let me know if you need some help although Hanin's suggestion of actively using a filter sock and tube will make short work of your problem.

I thought Purgien was a plastic resin. I'm 44, I don't think I have enough time for a plastic resin to decompose, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to hook up the magnum this weekend and see what I can suck out.

I was thinking about dosing a water clarifyer to make the purgien heavier and keeping it out of the water coluom so it could be vacuumed, any thoughts on this idea? Thanks....

Dakota9;125381 wrote: I thought Purgien was a plastic resin. I'm 44, I don't think I have enough time for a plastic resin to decompose, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to hook up the magnum this weekend and see what I can suck out.

I was thinking about dosing a water clarifyer to make the purgien heavier and keeping it out of the water coluom so it could be vacuumed, any thoughts on this idea? Thanks....

Your 44...Dang your making me feel good at 46...THANKS BRO!! LOL :lol2: You got some hard miles on ya....

Im j/k, wanna make you smile is all :)

I would keep the purigen light. As long as it can enter the water column easily, it can be filtered out. As soon as you weigh it down, you will likely be dealing with the stuff for years.

Back