I am sumpless, with limited space- how can I keep Nitrates at bay?

OceanDeep85;986024 wrote: newb question, Ender.. but is Phosban the same as I biopellet?

Nope phosban is a phosphate absorber. Biopellets are a form of carbon dosing where the pelletes feed bacteria that then also consume nitrate and phosphate.

EnderG60;986044 wrote: Nope phosban is a phosphate absorber. Biopellets are a form of carbon dosing where the pelletes feed bacteria that then also consume nitrate and phosphate.

I see. Do they need to be in a reactor or can I upgrade to a much larger HOB filter and put some in there with some matrix?

franciscosalazar;986049 wrote: Gotta replace your filter pad at least weekly

Really? I'd have thought that was overkill. I guess I'm used to freshwater where the guiding principle is to leave it alone until it's all clogged up.

BTW Dave I would bring the increments on the smart wave up a little bit, at a really short interval it will eventually wear the pumps out quicker. My guess is you need a better way to mechanically filter out stuff, change/clean the filter floss every 3-4 days. You can vacuum sugar fine sand, just turn off your powerheads for 30 minutes? Dont forget how important vacuuming is, especially if your getting detritus. Detritus comes from lack of flow/lack of mechanical filter/weak skimmer.

Investing in a reactor isnt going to do jack if you cant get the junk out of the tank, need to step up your own maintenance if you cant get it out of there via mechanical filtration and flow.

I think everyone hit the most salient points - matrix does really well, I also dose carbon in the form of Red Sea No3POx

ok.

I think what I'm eventually going to do is slowly replace the sugar sand with larger grain live sand, that way I'm not discouraged from vacuuming. Right now it's just too much of a pain.

I'm also going to upgrade to a nicer HOB and fill it with some nitrate and phosphate removing media and some carbon.

I dont know if this applies for everyone, but I know when I had crushed coral it caught WAY more detritus than my newer sugar fine sand; I would just suck it up bro :up: Just gotta figure out a way that works for you.

kilralpine;986072 wrote: I dont know if this applies for everyone, but I know when I had crushed coral it caught WAY more detritus than my newer sugar fine sand; I would just suck it up bro :up: Just gotta figure out a way that works for you.

well, what exactly are we referring to when we say 'detritus'.. like.. is fish crap sitting there on the sand? :) haha

Brown dusty junk, pretty much anything that will settle onto the sand. If it settles and its not detritus it will be.

kilralpine;986074 wrote: Brown dusty junk, pretty much anything that will settle onto the sand. If it settles and its not detritus it will be.

I see... I'll be home from work in an hour. I'll take some pics.

If you stir the sand and it releases a cloud of brown crap then basically its got detritus building up, thats what ya need to kick up everytime you do your waterchanges and remove. Ill admit its not the funnest part of maintenance but its a necessity.

Back