I bet my worm is bigger than yours!

Skriz;135458 wrote: Brandon is going to be pretty out of it during the frag meet. Offer him a drink at some point during the night (he'll be thirsty and won't even think about it). Hide the worm in the drink. Turn on the video cameras, GAME ON!

Since it is a frag meeting, I'm going to bring and frag it so everyone can have a piece.

bobz;135464 wrote: uhhh, did that come out of the same tank you had me stick my hand in to hook up the top off????? D'oh!!!! I don't think I'll be helping you any time soon. I thought you were exaggerating when you told me how big that dang thing was... holy crap.
BZ

That's where you had your hand!

washowi;135466 wrote: Yeah want to bet!! I thought this thing was an eel or a snake when I caught him at 2 in the morning.

Wow! Nice!

FutureInterest;135478 wrote: I'm going to have nightmares...

Let it crawl over your hand unexpectedly and see what kind of nightmares you have!

flyingarmy;135572 wrote: Hey bud...I got length and girth! Grendal was over 20" and about 1/2 wide!

Ha! Nice one too!
HeatherPilar;135578 wrote: :yuk: I just pulled the same thing out of my nano this weekend. The tank has been set up for at least a year now and I can't believe I never saw this guy!!! Got him out and flushed him immediately!!!

There seem to be a lot of these things out there! Mysterbox from Flowery Branch had one 4 foot long.

Probably everyone has them, they just haven't found it yet.

I think I figured out what this thing has been eating. I put it in my QT last night and this morning there were a bunch of green turd looking things on the bottom. The only other thing in the QT right now is a couple of pieces of rock and some chaeto. Now I know why my huge ball of chaeto in the sump stopped growing and seemed to be getting smaller.

Budsreef;135594 wrote: I think I figured out what this thing has been eating. I put it in my QT last night and this morning there were a bunch of green turd looking things on the bottom. The only other thing in the QT right now is a couple of pieces of rock and some chaeto. Now I know why my huge ball of chaeto in the sump stopped growing and seemed to be getting smaller.

If you could just teach it to eat hair algae you'd have a real winner there!

you guys are rank amateurs

a>

I remember seeing that one. Goes to show you should never put open PVC in your tank.

jmaneyapanda;135634 wrote: you guys are rank amateurs

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm">http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm</a>[/QUOTE]

If you remember I think mine was a top 2 at 4 foot!

jmaneyapanda;135634 wrote: you guys are rank amateurs

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm">http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm</a>[/QUOTE]

At least YOUR tank has stuff living in it! (lol!) This Oregon Worm was found in like a 800 gallon tank, too. But as of last March, here is his sad story!

[B]
Tank-O-death [/B]
Well....I had a little incident Thursday morning......

Thursday morning, I did a water change and decided to clean the powerheads on my skimmer since I haven't cleaned those in over a year. I got everything up and going, when I got a call that forced me to leave earlier than I had planned.

I returned home around 10pm......meaning that I was gone some 14 hrs. Well, apparently, clean skimmer pumps are much more efficient than dirty ones......so, the skimmer proceeded to overflow and empty my entire 200 gal sump down the drain. I had to do something....and since I had no water made up and it would take two days to generate 200 gals....I was forced to use tap water. Our water up here is actually not too bad out of the tap.

I also had some dechlorinator on hand that I've had...but never needed....for years. I filled the sump, mixed in dechlorinator, salt.....mixed well.....and powered up. Everything was back on line....went to bed.

I woke up Friday to the tank of death....every single sps coral is gone. All ricordea....gone. Fish and lps are fine....anemones...not happy; but alive. I removed all the dead stuff.....some seven buckets of sps heads ....some two feet in diameter.....very sad.

I feel that the fault was mine....I probably would have been fine with just taking the two days to create more water.....after all, my closed loop was working fine and I could have always added aeration. The second mistake was probably adding too much of a very old dechlorinator....which, I feel, was the primary cause of death. It was just a case of reacting too quickly and not thinking.

I always try to find the bright side in the face of adversity....in this case:

1) I'm going to save a ton on reactor media.
2) My cold tank is doing great....I can always look at that instead
3) no more AEFW's
4) no more red bugs
5) I guess I can reaquascape now
6) I'm now a buyer for sps heads
7) I have a vacation coming up and I won't have to worry a lick about the tank.

And to think that I was contemplating updating my site with new pics......well, at least that saves some time taking new pics.....starting over sucks.....

The worm I posted up was from my 2nd 55GAL I had set up over a year ago. Well to my total amazement last night while feeding the tank I look in the back corner and there is Grendal (named by a gril I bought some LR from and mentioned it might still be in the rock somewhere). I wish I had my camera handy he has grown a bit.

Wow, I was unaware about these things. I have one living in my sump, but it's only ~1" or so. Spotted it for the first time just recently. What is the common name for this type of worm?

Also, for a newb, is there some sort of list somewhere someone can refer me to identifying potentially bad hitchhikers? I have a nudibranch hiding somewhere too that I need to capture.

Back