I can't keep lps?!?

Switch salt to seachem reef, and it sounds like you have high nutients with all those flatworms. Get a little wrasse that eats flatworms? Flatworm exit? Do water changes 2x a week for a while.

mysterybox;379057 wrote: Switch salt to seachem reef, and it sounds like you have high nutients with all those flatworms. Get a little wrasse that eats flatworms? Flatworm exit? Do water changes 2x a week for a while.

Why the salt switch? BTW i currently use oceanic, and unfortunaly just bought a full whole bucket of the stuff.

I was considering a wrasse but with my slow moving bengai and my ornamental sexy shrimp i htink he would go on a killing spree, so i think ill just go with a siphon.

All the numbers are good with oceanic except alk & ph. Alk and ph are great with seachem reef.

dawgdude;379087 wrote: Funny, I had a problem wit my lps when I happened to stumble upon a store use oceanic bag. My lps closed up and recede back. The bag was gone quick and I was back to reef crystals but I always wondered it was the salt. My be something about oceanic that LPS doesnt like?

I REALY hope so. otherwise ill need to resort to blackmagick to lift the curse off my tank.

if you do change salts, you may want to look into H2Ocean. I have been using it since we set up the tank and have the most beautiful LPS corals. You will see a new pick later on my build. The salt is pricey though.

We've been using Reef Crystals and have had good luck with LPS in a high light and flow tank.

dawgdude;379087 wrote: Funny, I had a problem wit my lps when I happened to stumble upon a store use oceanic bag. My lps closed up and recede back. The bag was gone quick and I was back to reef crystals but I always wondered it was the salt. My be something about oceanic that LPS doesnt like?

We used Oceanic and our LPS (frogspawn, Acans, Scolies, Candy cane, etc.) were fine. What is you PWC schedule? Sorry if I've missed it.

Partial water change. How often and how much do you change?

Hooked Newbie;379140 wrote: Partial water change. How often and how much do you change?

Ahhhh, the "p" threw me off. i do 1.5 gallons every friday. so three gallons a week on a 30 gallon tank should be 10%

Personally, before I changed salt mix, I'd up those to 5G or so. I do tend to try to keep things simple though. It's easier IMO to increase the amount of water changed than to pinpoint and diagnose a trace element issue.

Hooked Newbie;379155 wrote: Personally, before I changed salt mix, I'd up those to 5G or so. I do tend to try to keep things simple though. It's easier IMO to increase the amount of water changed than to pinpoint and diagnose a trace element issue.

5gl a week right? i guess i could do that, i do mix the water in a 5gl bucket.

Newbie is right, I do anywhere from 5 to 10 gal water change every 7-10 days on our 34 gal Solana, depending on how the water tests.

Plus run phosban and purigen. I also skim fairly wet because LPS tend to dump alot into the water.

By the way, the picks are up.

theplantman;379216 wrote: Newbie is right, I do anywhere from 5 to 10 gal water change every 7-10 days on our 34 gal Solana, depending on how the water tests.

Plus run phosban and purigen. I also skim fairly wet because LPS tend to dump alot into the water.

By the way, the picks are up.

Schweet! Thats kindove what im shooting for.
When you add the new water do you do it in the display or do you have a sump?

I do it in the display, but I also let the water mix for at least 24 hours and bring it to temperature as well.

I do not have a sump or fuge at this time.

Go to member tanks, Solana 34 build and you can see the set up and results.

theplantman;379231 wrote: I do it in the display, but I also let the water mix for at least 24 hours and bring it to temperature as well.

I do not have a sump or fuge at this time.

Go to member tanks, Solana 34 build and you can see the set up and results.

I just clicked on your name then clicked "threads started by this member" and it came up. Realy nice tank! Bravo!

Back