I have a mairinland 180 with black plastic on the top and bottom.

charlieborg

Market
Reaction score
My question is I have a gap in the middle between my tank bottom and the stand. All four corners look to be ok. Just worried about the gap in the middle.

Marineland framed aquariums are held in place and supported at the corners. It is quite disconcerting given the weight but supposedly safe. The most important factor is being perfectly level. That means all four corners must be level with one another, including cross-corner.

Depends on how big a gap but something is up with your stand. Hit up home depot for some 1/2" pink foam. usually comes in 4x4 or 4x8 sheets.

That is interesting.... I did not have that problem. Tank should sit on the black frame around the edge of the tank. Is the gap between the black frame and the middle of the stand? How big is the gap?

I would not use any foam or matting under a framed tank. It will settle unevenly and create pressure points.

https://www.marineland.com/information/ask-marineland/aquarium-setup.aspx

· 5 months ago

What type of leveling mat is recommended for aquarium? I bought a 75g HD tank with stand. I can slide cardboard between the two surfaces so to cancel any undue stress on the aquarium I need to know what type you recommend. Thank you.

1answer

Answer this Question
  1. BREX
    · 5 months ago

We do not recommend "leveling mats". If the floor is level, you should not be able to place anything thicker than a credit card between the tank and the stand. Use a level the length of the tank to test the level of the floor, the level of the tank alone and the level of the stand alone to see where the issue is and go from there.
    Brex

That is interesting.... I did not have that problem. Tank should sit on the black frame around the edge of the tank. Is the gap between the black frame and the middle of the stand? How big is the gap?

I just noticed it when I hung a light over the tank. It’s may be 1/4 or less. I had a 150 glass tank that the bottom cracked on me. But then again I may be overly cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not use any foam or matting under a framed tank. It will settle unevenly and create pressure points.

https://www.marineland.com/information/ask-marineland/aquarium-setup.aspx

· 5 months ago

What type of leveling mat is recommended for aquarium? I bought a 75g HD tank with stand. I can slide cardboard between the two surfaces so to cancel any undue stress on the aquarium I need to know what type you recommend. Thank you.

1answer

Answer this Question
  1. BREX
    · 5 months ago

We do not recommend "leveling mats". If the floor is level, you should not be able to place anything thicker than a credit card between the tank and the stand. Use a level the length of the tank to test the level of the floor, the level of the tank alone and the level of the stand alone to see where the issue is and go from there.
    Brex

I have carpet in the room where it’s at. So it would be hard to really tell.

I have carpet in the room where it’s at. So it would be hard to really tell.

index.php

Hey everyone. Been working 12 hr shifts, so just getting a picture of my tank and the space between it and the stand. This is the biggest space on it. I can't get the CC in any further than what you see. So i'm thinking it is touching the frame closer inside the stand.

Attachments

• InkedIMG-3398_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-3398_LI.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-3393.jpg
    IMG-3393.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3394.jpg
    IMG-3394.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-3396.jpg
    IMG-3396.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 12
I agree. As long as the stand is perfectly level and then in turn the tank is level with no rocking corner to corner, you're ready for the aquascape and filling. As the tank fills it will settle out, the gap may never go completely away but I highly doubt you'll be able to get the CC in there at all. You will want to check the level of everything as the tank fills and make some minor shim adjustments along the way too. The stand may settle some and there might be some sagging of the floor at the front/outside of the stand. Once filled it would be a good idea to do some periodic checks to be sure there is no further settling over time.

IMHO, I side with the people on R2R that say cut the carpet out. You could put some LVT tile down under the stand footprint to not only keep the stand itself off the subfloor but also keep water from getting in there too. Once saltwater gets in the carpet it is very hard to get it all out and virtually impossible to get it out from under the stand. Then it will always be wet or damp down there on the subfloor. Yes the water will evaporate but the salt will be there and never leave, it will pull moisture out of the air keeping it damp. that will lead to mold and possible rotting of the subfloor. If you think you will never have a spill... well think again because it will happen.

I agree. As long as the stand is perfectly level and then in turn the tank is level with no rocking corner to corner, you're ready for the aquascape and filling. As the tank fills it will settle out, the gap may never go completely away but I highly doubt you'll be able to get the CC in there at all. You will want to check the level of everything as the tank fills and make some minor shim adjustments along the way too. The stand may settle some and there might be some sagging of the floor at the front/outside of the stand. Once filled it would be a good idea to do some periodic checks to be sure there is no further settling over time.

IMHO, I side with the people on R2R that say cut the carpet out. You could put some LVT tile down under the stand footprint to not only keep the stand itself off the subfloor but also keep water from getting in there too. Once saltwater gets in the carpet it is very hard to get it all out and virtually impossible to get it out from under the stand. Then it will always be wet or damp down there on the subfloor. Yes the water will evaporate but the salt will be there and never leave, it will pull moisture out of the air keeping it damp. that will lead to mold and possible rotting of the subfloor. If you think you will never have a spill... well think again because it will happen.
How much water are you spilling!? I have used those clear plastic runners with the prickly slide on one side of them. And I have found that they actually trapped moisture underneath them. If you are considering putting new floors in your house do it now before you fill that tank

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Back