I need a stand...

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I need to build a rather large stand for my frag tank(s).

Tanks are 40x40 3/4. I THOUGHT they were going to be 4'x4', but oops, there is an extra 3/4 on the end there that is extra lol.

My plan was to have a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood as the table, and then frame around it with 2x4's, 4x4's for the legs, and another frame around those at the bottom. I'll need to line at least one side of it with ply to prevent racking, or I suppose I can put a cross piece of wood.

Since it's large than a sheet of ply, and I'd rather not buy 2 $45 sheets, anyone have a suggestion? Can I just build a perimeter frame around the bottom of the tank(s) with some cross pieces? Nothing but the bottom sides are supposed to touch with glass correct?

Im guessing you mean 48" x 48 3/4" ? If so then the tank will stick over the edges 3/8" on each side . Are these glass tanks the kind with the plastic trim around them?

coralrimless48x48-with-over.jpg
alt="" />

could probably do something for ya...check out the pics in thread i just posted(55 gal stand build) pm me if interested

set your legs in 3/4" and put plywood on top and put a 3/4" plywood trim around the outside. that way you can control the size you need by adjusting the size of the top. Your plywood top should be 46 1/2" x 47 1/4". Most of the weight will be on the plywood top anyway

Back