I need help with my fish list!

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
Well it looks like I will be picking up my free 58g tank with stand and canopy this week so I have to make a fish list. I usually make a fish list to make sure they are all compatable then buy equitment based off of the fishes needs. I will have mhs for this tank. I have one question would a 250 mh be enough light for a 58g? Any way on with the fish list!

mabey a few blue chromis
Flame hawkfish
engineer goby
yellow watchman goby + pistol shrimp
midas blenny
sixline wrasse
mcmosker's flasher wrasse male
mystery wrasse
2 or 3 pajama cardinals
2 or 3 bangii cardinals
horseface blenny
a small angel of some sort
fridmani psendochromis
and a small angler fish

I know I will be taking a risk with the angler but I think they're pretty cool so I just won't add any extremly small fish. I know that I have tomany fish on the list. I also need you guy's help with narrowing the list.
Thanks, Diane

Quick tip on the flamehawk -- if you want one (and I LOVE mine), suggest adding him last if you have small crabs or shrimp in your system (especially peppermints). If the flame is in there first, he'll see any shrimp you add later as *food* ... but if you add him last, he may view the resident crustaceans as tankmates. At least, this has been my experience. Shrimp that are already established have their hiding places whereas helpless shrimp added to the system later are pounced upon.

I'd skip the angler ... this is a fish (in my opinion) best left in the wild. From what I've heard, survival rate isn't high and we should be leaving these to thrive in nature's own habitat.

Bangaii -- please purchase *tank raised*

Good luck with your new system!! This is exciting.

Oh, and with the lights ~ I have 2 150-W MH's on my 90g and that's plenty.

250 will be fine on the lighting, might even be overkill? how deep is that?

Linda Lee;228024 wrote: Quick tip on the flamehawk -- if you want one (and I LOVE mine), suggest adding him last if you have small crabs or shrimp in your system (especially peppermints). If the flame is in there first, he'll see any shrimp you add later as *food* ... but if you add him last, he may view the resident crustaceans as tankmates. At least, this has been my experience. Shrimp that are already established have their hiding places whereas helpless shrimp added to the system later are pounced upon.

I'd skip the angler ... this is a fish (in my opinion) best left in the wild. From what I've heard, survival rate isn't high and we should be leaving these to thrive in nature's own habitat.

Bangaii -- please purchase *tank raised*

Good luck with your new system!! This is exciting.

Oh, and with the lights ~ I have 2 150-W MH's on my 90g and that's plenty.

+1 on the angler. It will kill itself killing other fish. Literally. If you must, it needs to be by itself.

twistoflime;228020 wrote: Well it looks like I will be picking up my free 58g tank with stand and canopy this week so I have to make a fish list. 2
or 3 pajama cardinals
2 or 3 bangii cardinals

I would be careful here... these guys will probably be fine when they are small but when they grow and start to pair up they could be agressive towards each other in a small tank. I would pick one of the two and keep those to avoid possible issues.

and +1 on the tank breed Bangaii! you can also get tank breed Orchid Dottybacks which do much better than wc.

bob

sixline wrasse
mystery wrasse

Don't mix these 3 fish together. The McKosker will be killed by either the mystery or the sixline post-haste. The mystery and the sixline will likely fight it out as well until only one is left. Typically its the mystery that wins these battles but some bigger sixlines can pull of an upset. Regardless, don't mix these wrasses.

FutureInterest;228132 wrote: sixline wrasse
mystery wrasse

Don't mix these 3 fish together. The McKosker will be killed by either the mystery or the sixline post-haste. The mystery and the sixline will likely fight it out as well until only one is left. Typically its the mystery that wins these battles but some bigger sixlines can pull of an upset. Regardless, don't mix these wrasses.

+1 on the wrasses. I thought mystery was a model citizen. I've lost hundred of dollars in fish because of him. The mystery will kill all flashers and will probably take out the sixline too.

Skip the angler, it'll eat everything then die.

a 250w Mh is fine unless you're doing FO, in which case it's unnecessary.

I am hoping my mystery will take out my 6 line. I have not been able to catch the 6 line for months.

Ok from what people are telling me
I will not get the angler
I have to pick either pj cardinals or bangii cardinals and they have to be tank bred
I have to pick one wrasse
I must go edit my list...

You can have more than Wrasse if you have the right ones.
I have 2 Lubbocks Wrasse and 1 Solar and they are all fine together.

Generally, fairies and flashers all get along. Some of the halichoeres wrasses are also fine as are a few of the bodianus.

Keep in mind that the engineer gobies get pretty big, and look different as adults. And they burrow. If you're going to have them, put your rock in first, then the sand, and be sure the rock is STABLE!! They will cause it to fall if not, which can be disastrous for coral and possibly fish.

Also, are you looking at a dwarf angel? Even some of those aren't reef safe, it's touch and go if they'll nip at coral or not.

I applaud you for getting input and suggestions before stocking your tank. Too many people get something and find out later that they cannot care for it adequately or accomodate it when it's grown.

purpleGORILLA;228155 wrote: I am hoping my mystery will take out my 6 line. I have not been able to catch the 6 line for months.

I can lend you my domino's; they'll take out anything!

stacy22;228510 wrote: I applaud you for getting input and suggestions before stocking your tank. Too many people get something and find out later that they cannot care for it adequately or accomodate it when it's grown.

+1. Kudos for doing this the responsible way!

jenn_jeffery;228483 wrote: Keep in mind that the engineer gobies get pretty big, and look different as adults. And they burrow. If you're going to have them, put your rock in first, then the sand, and be sure the rock is STABLE!! They will cause it to fall if not, which can be disastrous for coral and possibly fish.

Also, are you looking at a dwarf angel? Even some of those aren't reef safe, it's touch and go if they'll nip at coral or not.

I'm going to be careful with the dwarf angle but I would like to add one. I know that the enginier goby grows big and almost eel-like. I am going to drill the live rock and attach pieces to make cool shapes so it will be pretty stable.

Back