I think they know....

Trizzino

Moderator Extraordinaire
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
I think the asterina stars know Harley is in the tank... I added a harlequin shrimp about an hour ago and now my glass is covered. Ha

https://vimeo.com/154927837">https://vimeo.com/154927837</a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you would cling to the walls too if someone dropped a crocodile in your bedroom.
nature knows when to send out an s.o.s

Message definitely got out. I didn't mind having a few asterina's but since the tank move they are out of control. Needed Harley to get things back in order.

I've got a bunch myself but I like seeing them all over and I haven't lost any zoes due to them yet.

They didn't bother anything for awhile and I welcomed them but now I've found them on my corals. One of my zoa colonies is pissed at them.

Trizzino;1072008 wrote: They didn't bother anything for awhile and I welcomed them but now I've found them on my corals. One of my zoa colonies is pissed at them.

you think they munch on zoas?
just asking.

i hear two sides of the coin with it. "oh it was alreay dying" kinda thing

then again there is a video on youtube where this powder tang is munching on zoas like he was at a buffet at golden corral.

I know they are scavengers. Not sure they are munching on the zoas or just grazing on by. But the zoas definitely aren't happy having the stars hug their polyps.

On a side note, I picked up a sps frag that had a tiny bit of recession on it and they were munching at the "dying" part. Thing was they were aggravating the frag and it kept receding. But once i took the frag out and placed in my sump it has stopped receding. May be coincidental but from my guess they weren't helping the healing process of corals.

There are 2 different species of Asterina. The ones that are tan/white and sometimes have a tiny bit of blue on them, are usually harmless.

The other ones have a bit of red on them and tend to be a bit larger than the harmless ones. Those jokers will munch on corals - zoas and whatnot. Those are the ones to be concerned about.

Jenn

Back