I want a frag tank.. Suggestions welcome.

Betterwhereitswetter

Market
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has a very cool frag tank set up. It's probably a lot bigger then i can go, but it's at the perfect height and all open and I love it. I was looking at the acrylic Coast to coast ones on line. They are out of stock and also a bit smaller then I was wanting. I saw a 40 breeder and now at PETCO they have a 60 breeder. I like the clean look of acrylic though the 60 breeder turned my head for the size and height. What do you guys think, anyone have a favorite? Also I know I don't want sand in it, just live rock on the bottom to help with biological. I was thinking a six line wrasse and perhaps a small pair of clowns. Do you have opinions on fish or no fish? I think it would help the corals a bit myself.

I'm looking to spend about $300-$500 depending if there is a light included. I like the AI Primes but open to other suggestions for lighting as well.

I have a lowboy and like it for the height. Deep frag tanks seem like a lot of wasted space. Currently no sand (but I have a partition for a small sandbed for the wrasses), live rock and racks.
Im a firm believer in fish poop. The only reason I dont have a 6-line is that they jump and I don't have a lid. I've had a melanaraus and yellow coris in there that were fine. I've had up to 8 clowns in there at one time but they would chase each other and jump so now im down to 3. Tangs have been in there but they get pretty lazy with the algae.
Snails I find actually do the best but I sometimes have to supplement them with nori bc I'm not sure that they are getting enough to eat. Turbos are the best but they get huge and knock frags around. Trochus are ok at first but tend to get lazy.
I have 2 noops over it but I think in a shallow tank you can probably do any light and be fine with par

We've been happy with our Deep Blue 80 gallon (24"x48"x16") frag tank that we got at Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw. The depth allows for a wide range of lighting intensity by using different height frag rack shelves without being so deep I can't reach the bottom of it for cleaning.

I have a lowboy and like it for the height. Deep frag tanks seem like a lot of wasted space. Currently no sand (but I have a partition for a small sandbed for the wrasses), live rock and racks.
Im a firm believer in fish poop. The only reason I dont have a 6-line is that they jump and I don't have a lid. I've had a melanaraus and yellow coris in there that were fine. I've had up to 8 clowns in there at one time but they would chase each other and jump so now im down to 3. Tangs have been in there but they get pretty lazy with the algae.
Snails I find actually do the best but I sometimes have to supplement them with nori bc I'm not sure that they are getting enough to eat. Turbos are the best but they get huge and knock frags around. Trochus are ok at first but tend to get lazy.
I have 2 noops over it but I think in a shallow tank you can probably do any light and be fine with par
I saw them on line but not sure where you can pick them up. Petco used to carry them. I will keep that in mind for a six line. I love them as well but not sure if I will have a lid on it yet.

We've been happy with our Deep Blue 80 gallon (24"x48"x16") frag tank that we got at Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw. The depth allows for a wide range of lighting intensity by using different height frag rack shelves without being so deep I can't reach the bottom of it for cleaning.
I will check this one out as well. Thank you so much!

I have and really like this footprint too, mine is 60 gallons, 4" shorter.

@sharis100 knows of a local acrylic tank builder. Something 60 or 48 x 24 is perfect. Personally I like a 16" height but some like a 12-13".

When I get further along on my build I'm going to replace the 60 gal Deep Blue frag tank with an acrylic for better clarity. I thought about low iron glass but figured with all the moving of stuff in and out it would get scratches. With acrylic it's easier to repair if they aren't too deep.

@sharis100 knows of a local acrylic tank builder. Something 60 or 48 x 24 is perfect. Personally I like a 16" height but some like a 12-13".

When I get further along on my build I'm going to replace the 60 gal Deep Blue frag tank with an acrylic for better clarity. I thought about low iron glass but figured with all the moving of stuff in and out it would get scratches. With acrylic it's easier to repair if they aren't too deep.
I really appreciate it and will reach out. My friend has acrylic and I would prefer to stay with it if I can find one a little bigger then the coast to coast ones. Not sure I want to have one built as I think that might be a lot more expensive. I'll inquire though. Thank you so much!

It gets more expensive the taller a tank is. Under 18" 1/2" should be fine. 18-30" you need 3/4" acrylic. Over 30" it steps up to 1 to 1-1/4" thick.
So at 3/8 to 1/2" you should be in your budget.

It gets more expensive the taller a tank is. Under 18" 1/2" should be fine. 18-30" you need 3/4" acrylic. Over 30" it steps up to 1 to 1-1/4" thick.
So at 3/8 to 1/2" you should be in your budget.
Awesome, there used to be a tank builder in a warehouse over off of Friendship Road who made them. I think he's gone though but he had an amazing octagonal tank in his main show room that I loved. I definitely prefer a lower tank.

Awesome, there used to be a tank builder in a warehouse over off of Friendship Road who made them. I think he's gone though but he had an amazing octagonal tank in his main show room that I loved. I definitely prefer a lower tank.
Worked for chris for years. He still has the 4x8 frag tables in his storage. That octagon tank has history lol.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

4x2 foot is a good size for working over. If you want to grow frags then the Low Boy 50 gal is fine.

Only if you want to grow out colony’s or taller corals will you need a deeper tank.

You will be hard pressed to beat a Low Boy on cost. Just plan on buying an overflow & drill it yourself. There are overflow kits that include the Diamond bit, template & overflow. You can buy a used sump, or use a 40 breeder or similar. Lots of ways to do it. Just depends on your preferences. No matter what you get, you’ll eventually go bigger!

Back