i was such a fool!!!!!

Don't whatever you do look at his tank!!! You will never be happy with your tank again and will end up spending 2x what you do now trying to make it half as nice!

flyingarmy;148125 wrote: True but Rit uses Pool Calcium and doses the heck out of it. His SPS growth was amazing!

i know this is not the type of calcium rit uses. Rit please let me know which pool calcium you use i am going to give that a try
a>

Why is dosing pool calcium any better than other calcium? Or was it that you maintained much higher concentrations of calcium in the water?

I keep mine at 460 ish. I'm currently just using purple-up since I already have it, but I was wondering what is a good product for dosing (while maintaining simplicity)? Also, do you need to dose strontium, iodine, etc separately?

Dosing pool calcium is cost effective. More so than buying hobby specific calcium products which are basically the same thing anyways. Once you do add SPS you'll need to find a method of adding calcium and alk that work for you since they do use up a lot of it.

No you don't need to dose trace elements. Regular water changes will maintain those levels just fine.

Ok, I was under the impression that the pool calcium was the steroids of hard corals.

What is acceptable for WC's anyway? I was initially set-up as a nano-style with only 29 gal (recommended 5-10% weekly) and no skimmer, etc. Now with the addition of my 15 gal sump , skimmer, more LR, etc, I have dropped to ~10% bi-weekly. No noticeable changes really in anything I can measure. But I'm assuming that is covering me on trace elements?

Edit: sorry for this seemingly elementary question

future this is an intersting development. which brand should i use and how much of it should i get?

ummmmmmmmm RIT you can chime in at any time

well now that begs the question:

what does eveyone use to dose?

i use seachem reef builder and seachem advantage calcium

I use a calcium reactor now a days... but not long ago I used kalkwasser and then had to switch to twopart solution.

I got my twopart solution from
a>but you can also use pool calcium or prestone driveway heat as your calcium source and use baking soda as your alk source.

i was thinking about making me a calcium reactor i saw a DIY for a square one that i was going to try. when i get a bigger tank i will make that one of my first projects

Back