I WILL have a healthy anemone! (Advice requested within).

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I know enough about anenomes to know I really <u>don't</u> know enough about anemones, so I'd like to start a brainstorming thread.

Here's what I think I know:

3 critical factors affect the health of anemones:
~ Water Quality
~ Lighting
~ Flow

Would you add *Water Temperature* to this list? What would you say ideal water temperature would be?

What about *Food*? Is it true that food requirements and how often an anemone is fed depends upon lighting as an anemone derives most of its nutrient requirements from photosythesis?

Regarding water quality, what tests are critical? How often do you test? What test kits are best? What kind of test result should be a warning/danger sign?

Regarding food, what's best to feed? Are supplements necessary? What about calcium and calcium levels? What should they be?

Regarding types of anemones, are some more difficult than others? Who can add a list here of anemones from easiest to most difficult?

Regarding tankmates, what, if anything, should be avoided as incompatible?

Does anyone have any URL's bookmarked for anemone husbandry?

Any and all input would be appreciated. It would be nice to be able to get enough feedback here to compose a wiki article for our site. To that regard, can anyone come up with any FAQ's to post in such an article?

Thanks for your comments!

linda one of the main things an anemone needs is an established system ...they will be fine with everything else i had an anemone in a 12 gal with pcs and one maxijet 1200 for a return ....its stability that is most important

I've got a story for you about how delicate Anemones are...

A few years ago I had a 10g Nano with a GBTA in it. I was new to the hobby and really didn't do much to or for the tank. I did upgrade the lights to PC. The BTA grew and grew until it decided to split (I had no idea they would do that). My wife was like... your thingy broke in two...:confused2:

Anyway, a few months later I get sent to school in Va for the Military (imagine that). Before I want I put my lights on a timer and put 2 marks on the side of the tank and told my wife when it gets to the low mark add water (I left her a few gallons of RO/DI water) until it is up to the top line... I told her to clean the glass when it got dirty and feed the fish every few days...

14 weeks later I come home... The water was about 3/4" below the low line... the glass was sooo green that I couldn't see if there was anything left in the tank... The Cheeto (sp.) I had in the tank had gone nuts...

I asked my loving wife what happened to the tank... she said... I don't know, it's been like that... I asked why the water was so low, she said, I sometimes forget to check it:doh: .

Well after about 2 hours of cleaning the glass I noticed a couple of things... 1. I didn't loose a single thing, but my Anemone was much smaller than it was before. 2. The light on the tank had sooo much salt creep on it that all I could see was a bright glow...I didn't even ask my wife if she fed the fish, but I'm fairly certain that if they got fed once a week it was a treat

What did this teach me... Anemones are pretty hardy. I'm sure the salinity in that tank had some drastic changes, the light was terrible towards the end, and with little or no food an Anemone will make it it might get a little smaller though.

About the only thing that stayed constant in the tank was the temp (I had a heater that pretty much stayed on constantly).

Flow and strong light..I have never fed an anenome in 5 years...

Would you add *Water Temperature* to this list? What would you say ideal water temperature would be?<ul>
<li>Not really. I'm not aware of an ideal temperature for nems.</li>
</ul>What about *Food*? Is it true that food requirements and how often an anemone is fed depends upon lighting as an anemone derives most of its nutrient requirements from photosythesis?
<ul>
<li>An unhosted nem can survive solely off light alone is what I've been told but I don't believe it. I've never practiced this as I always feed my nems. IMO, God gave them stinging cells and a mouth because they need to eat.</li>
</ul>Regarding water quality, what tests are critical? How often do you test? What test kits are best? What kind of test result should be a warning/danger sign?
<ul>
<li>Good water quality. Low nitrates/phosphates for one. As Victor said stability is key.</li>
</ul>Regarding food, what's best to feed? Are supplements necessary? What about calcium and calcium levels? What should they be?
<ul>
<li>I give mine a wide variety of food including: PE mysis, silversides, squid, krill, shrimp, and Formula 1 pellets.<ul>
<li></li>
<li>It also eats whatever the maroons feed it. They often feed it before they feed themselves.</li>
</ul></li>
<li>Calcium levels should be at 400 or so. Whatever you normally keep your reef at. Believe it or not they NEED calcium levels to be correct in order to function. They don\'t use it as a building material but it is critical nonetheless.</li>
</ul>Regarding types of anemones, are some more difficult than others? Who can add a list here of anemones from easiest to most difficult?<ul>
<li>I'm not well versed in all nems. I would list though the BTA as the easiest as it is very forgiving of water quality.
</li>
</ul>Regarding tankmates, what, if anything, should be avoided as incompatible?<ul>
<li>Certain shrimp like the camel shrimp or pacific peppermint shrimp will kill nems. I lost the reddest and prettiest RBTA this way... :sad:
</li>
</ul>Does anyone have any URL's bookmarked for anemone husbandry?<ul>
<li>Karen's site is http://www.karensroseanemones.com/">ok</a>. I think I've learned more though from reefcentral and wetwebmedia.[/B]</li>
</ul>Any and all input would be appreciated. It would be nice to be able to get enough feedback here to compose a wiki article for our site. To that regard, can anyone come up with any FAQ's to post in such an article?
<ul>
<li>[B]I nominate Lee. I've only owned various types of bubble tips. He's had an actual anemone tank. :)[/B]</li>
</ul>Thanks for your comments!

Seedless Reefer;151925 wrote: I would add care in handling and removal of the person selling it to you.

For sure...If theyre ripping it off a rock thats really wrong...

I purchased a GBTA from a sponsor and they couldnt get him off the rock. This sponsor gave me the rock and Nem...Doesnt seem like a big deal but it was a good 8-10 pound rock....Thats great service in my book

Back