ich and Powder Blue Tang :(

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I got a powder blue last Sat and it looked healthy. Today it now has ick :( What should I do ? I dont have a QT tank. Will my other fish get ick? Please help.

get some cleaners man if the fish is eating should be ok and try keeping the water clean by water changes

cleaners won't keep up with the ich. A fresh water could help but I'd have it in there no longer than 4 minutes. Make see water is of the same temp and ph.

I wouldn't do anything except let the ick take its course. Freshwater dip will only stress it out and weakens it. Do alot of water change (every 3 days) and if you can get a uv light.

Chris, Ich on PB's is common. I've had the same PB for 3.5 yrs and he still gets ich from time to time. No issues normally. A little bit of stress easily triggers an Ich outbreak. From my experience what stresses PB's is probably not what stresses other fish so the Ich might not jump fish. Quite honestly have you tried or do you have;

a UV Sterilizer? works well on the initial outbreak of Ich.
an Ozone Generator? long term, needed for sustainability
Is he/she eating? Garlic
Drop in pure VitC powder? this works and stops Ich within a few days. I alway keep some close by.

Call me if you need a hand. I would say that a FW dip is to invasive right now. Try the other stuff first.

When I had an ick outbreak, I was told to feed garlic soaked food and raise my water temp...loss was minimal. (Couple of chromis and losing them didn't surprise me - my tangs made it through just fine.) I was told the same thing about the dips (that it would do more harm by stressing the fish than it would probably help).

Good luck Chris...

thanks barbera for offering the QT tank. But I am gonna take Simon's advice and let the ich take its course. I have garlic guard that i used yesterday and will contiune using it. I have no uv or ozone. Also ill do some water changes. Thanks for the good advice everyone :)

Ok Chris here's what works for my Achilies. Alot of flow. Because when the animals settle down at night the Ich has a chance to attach. Alot of flow makes it harder to attach to the fish. A HUGE uv. I have an Emperor Aquatics 40Watt T-5. It works great. Water is crystal clear and it kills Ich cysts. Also I agree with garlic too. One other thing that may help is vacuuming the bottom of the tank with water changes. It may help to remove Ich. God luck

Alan thanks, Ill be over to get that UV - your the man, ill just keep it, so go ahead and buy a new one. Also go ahead and clean it up. Thanks

dawgdude;182766 wrote: Chris, I would try to beg borrow or steal a UV for a lil while :) Also you might want to try to find a LFS that carries Metronitizone. Ive used it on multiple fish with ich and it seems to work well. I just picked up a blue hippo from Danny and like every other blue hippo I have ever seen it had a small amount of ich. I was pretty worried about him but Danny had him for a while and I fed him food soaked in garlic and metronitizone and hes doing great so far.

I will echo the same that my PB I had would pop up with ich but he was a hardy lil fish because he lived with popeye for months until my tank crashed and killed all my fish.

yep, the metronitizone is what i used and it was gone in 3 days.

take a look at this also
merchant.mvc

In all my research on ick UV might and I say might get the free floater if it is running water through slowly but won't kill the ones in the sand bed nor the ones attached to the fish...

Back