Ich help

The27turk

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve got an ich outbreak in my 230 gallon display. I tried all afternoon and I cannot get any of the fish out. Does anyone near Gainesville have a bottle of polyp lava reef medic I could buy off them? Can’t find it anywhere and I just ran out and shopping would take a few days. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Attachments

• 93BF245C-3C48-447E-ADCE-E13815C7E30F.png
    93BF245C-3C48-447E-ADCE-E13815C7E30F.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 14
I would read up. See link below. The solution, unfortunately, does not come in a bottle. If it, indeed, is ich, you are in no great rush. Read up and select a course of action. If it is velvet, you will know soon because you will start losing fish.

Ich eradication vs. Ich management | Humble.Fish & Reef Community
Yeah unfortunately it’s velvet. Lost 2 fish so far. Been trying to catch them to move them to a hospital tank for days with no luck. Leaving tomorrow for Michigan for work and have no clue what to do at this point.

The protocols are mostly the same for ich and velvet, as they have similar life cycles. I would take a deep breath and read up. Once you have velvet, your focus isn't saving fish, but planning for eradication in your tank going forward.

So the best way to get rid of your problem, will be to get you a couple of brute cans and full halfway up with tank water. Pull all of your rock work out and place into the can. That will make it easier for you to capture the fish. Once the fish are out you can place the rock back into the tank. From there the tank will need to sit without any fish for at least 6 months. I typically have let it sit for 9 months just to insure it is gone. The cycle of ich and velvet require a host which are fish. they will eggs will drop off the fish into the sand and a new strain will develop. As long as there is not host it cannot reproduce. I would put those fish in qt right away. Each fish will need to go through a different qt method. I would be glad to chat with you on how to better assist in getting those fish back healthy.

Back