Ich question in regards to corals

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
So I read Brandons article on Ich. Well, a lot of it. FOrgive me if this is in there somwhere.....

So you quarantine fish and all, and have basically an ich free tank. What precautions do you have to take when adding corals from a store that has fish in the coral tanks you purchase from?

I was told (and it seems plausible) that if the fish in the coral tank have ich or if the ich is free in the tank for some reason (part of the cycle described by Brandon), you a chance at reintroducing it into your tank UNLESS you also quarantine all corals for 21 days. Is this remotely true? Maybe unlikely but true?

Not really... The risk from coral is very little. (read non-existent). Now you should be dipping your corals for other reasons, but that is a different lecture! ;) At the very least, you should swish the frag around in clean saltwater (or water from your tank) to dislodge anything that could be on the rocks but Ich does not host on corals and there is a very slight chance that a ich cyst fell into the rock and would be transmitted.

Now, about that dipping of corals for other stuff.... ;)

The best thing to do when you get a new frag and to take a cutting from it and give it to me; we'll call it an "offering" to the reef gods. This will ensure a pest free tank. :D

Cash is also and acceptable offering! ;)

Back