ICH question.

23cnhit

Market
Reaction score
ok, I lost another Blue hippo Tang to Ich. I don't have a Quarantine tank but I am about to get one. Here is my question. I have a yellow Tang and Kole tang left. I want to QT them. How big a QT tank do I need for the 72 days? Since they don't fight now, will they be ok in the smaller tank? Tank now is 42 gallon. I plan on upgrading in 6 months. All water test come back fine.

Have you thought of just medicating the display tank? A QT is definitely the way to go but not feasible for everyone. You could go with a smaller QT for sure as long as you don't cut down on length too much so they have room to stretch their legs a little bit. For example - get a 20 long vs. a 20 tall.

You said you are planning on upgrading in 6 months - do you mean the display? because you could always use your current display as a QT as well.. Just remove the live rock and sand and throw in some large PVC pieces so they can hide. No lights either.

How do I medicate the tank? I bought some API Super Ich cure. Will that help? I think the Hippo was too far gone. I wanted to use the current tank as a QT later on. Right buying a QT isn't feasible for me but I just don't want to lose anymore fish.

It's important to start by understanding what Ich is - a parasite. The best way to fight is is to fight conditions where it thrives, weak or hungry fish with poor immune systems. If you want to try and treat in your display, you can try and simply eliminate the conditions instead of using medication. This is the path that I would try since you are upgrading in 6 months so having a QT for half of that doesn't seem terribly feasible.

I would start by soaking all of your foods in Garlic. Personally, I use Garlic Guard. I soak all food for 10 minutes before feeding. Not only does it help raise the immune system of just about everything in your tank, but it will really help push an appetite in your fish. This is important because fish that are sick generally have a suppressed appetite, which only makes the situation worse. If you can continue to get your fish to eat, they are more likely to fight off Ich on their own.

Also, maybe try a vitamin? I use Seachem Vitality. Same with the Garlic, I soak for about 10 minutes before I feed. I find that it helps keep my fish colored up, which is a sign of a healthy fish.

Then, once you upgrade tanks, you can tackle medicating them while they are in a tank without live rock or anything that the medication might "contaminate".

While neither of the things I described are "medication", I find that it will probably help your fish fight the parasite on their own. Plus, you won't hurt any of the inverts in your tank with this method (where anything copper based will).

Good luck!

is your tank a fish only or do you have corals/inverts as well? How big is your 2 tangs?

It has corals and fish. The yellow is 2 inches long. Kole is 3 inches long.

Thank you so much. I will try this as well.

Crew;1066106 wrote: It's important to start by understanding what Ich is - a parasite. The best way to fight is is to fight conditions where it thrives, weak or hungry fish with poor immune systems. If you want to try and treat in your display, you can try and simply eliminate the conditions instead of using medication. This is the path that I would try since you are upgrading in 6 months so having a QT for half of that doesn't seem terribly feasible.

I would start by soaking all of your foods in Garlic. Personally, I use Garlic Guard. I soak all food for 10 minutes before feeding. Not only does it help raise the immune system of just about everything in your tank, but it will really help push an appetite in your fish. This is important because fish that are sick generally have a suppressed appetite, which only makes the situation worse. If you can continue to get your fish to eat, they are more likely to fight off Ich on their own.

Also, maybe try a vitamin? I use Seachem Vitality. Same with the Garlic, I soak for about 10 minutes before I feed. I find that it helps keep my fish colored up, which is a sign of a healthy fish.

Then, once you upgrade tanks, you can tackle medicating them while they are in a tank without live rock or anything that the medication might "contaminate".

While neither of the things I described are "medication", I find that it will probably help your fish fight the parasite on their own. Plus, you won't hurt any of the inverts in your tank with this method (where anything copper based will).

Good luck!

With a fish and coral tank, I do not know of a product that will safely treat the entire tank. If it was fish only, that would be different. In the future, I would recommend that you dip all fish before adding them to your tank.

Second. Crew is dead on the money with feeding the fish with "beefed" up food by using Garlic Guard. When I had an ich infection, I also added Focus and Metronidazole to the food mixture. Both of these products are in powder form and mix in with the Garlic Guard. Follow the package directions exactly and treat for the recommended time frame. So far, it has worked every time. You can also make it an ongoing regimen. Not every feeding but once a week just to help boost the fish's immune system.

I have lost couple of High dollar fishes within a matter of 3 days , Every day in the morning I see two fishes dead..Very painful seeing a happy and healthy fish dying.

This link below will help you to get an idea on what to do.

http://blog.reefspecialty.com/deadly-fish-diseases-and-the-best-survival-guide/">http://blog.reefspecialty.com/deadly-fish-diseases-and-the-best-survival-guide/</a>

In another blog they said to lower the salinity and increase the temperature which will speed up the lifecycle of an Ich to die soon.

Back