Ick issue!

reef insane

Market
Reaction score
I haven't had an ich issue in years. I'm surprised. What have you guys been doing to get rid of it these days.
300gallon full reef

2 of 14 fish have it so I've noticed it early.
Fish get a huge selection for their diet. All plump so immune systems are high.

Temp 76.8
Salinity 1.0215
PH 8.0

I'm concerned about changing any of my parameters due to the coral and adding medications.

Any suggestions?
Thank you ARC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b80f2e53865318aa45e4bace597003ba.jpg
alt="" />

Really hard to see but the Regal has it.

I fed medicated food.....flake mixed with Focus, Metro and Garlic. On top of that, I ran my UV 24-hrs a day. I fed twice daily for 3 weeks. It's been gone since. Now I run my UV 8 hours a day.

Yes. I didn't even think about the UV. I haven't hooked it up yet. First thing tomorrow. Did you custom mix the food or can I buy it that way. Thx Jeff

I mixed my own. The medicated food will help with the individual fish. The UV will only help with the water column. Make sure you run it as slow as it is rated for.

Almost all my fish like Dr G's medicated food. Pure Reef has it. It has Chloroquine Phosphate. Inverts don't seem affected by it. Unfortunately, my puffer won't touch the stuff, and seems to be the most affected by the ich.

I'm about to pull all the fish out and put them in a stock tank with hypo for a month and let the displays go fallow for two months, because I can't get the puffer to kick it. I lost my seahorses and my trigger to it. Ich sucks.

If your fish are eating then I would go for the Metro, Focus, and Garlic mix. Also possibly bump your temp up. At least 2-3 degrees.

Basically your whole system has ich, to rid whole system, you can go fishless in DT for 6-8 weeks 85-90% chance of removing ich. 10-12 weeks to guarantee no ich in the DT system. Then while fish are in QT tank, treat with copper as instructed on label.

The last outbreak I had, I used Dr. G's fish food designed for ick treatment. It worked and within 3 days the ick was gone and never came back. This was after weeks of failed attempts with treating with metro and focus (which has proven to work for me for years until this last outbreak). It's been over a year and so far so good.

Dr G's is good stuff, and seems to work for the fish who will eat it, and it is super easy to feed. Definitely worth a try if your plan is just to wait out the ich.

Ich seams to be gone. 3 days of feeding twice a day with metro , focus, and garlic. My fish are very aggressive eaters and I didn't lose anything. I also raised the temp to 78. Tonight I cut the dose in half and I'm going to continue the treatment for the next 3-4 days reducing the dose. Skimmer has been off for the 3 first days and I just turned it back on and at the end of the week I will run carbon. It seemed to work. I will update . Thank you again ARC for the good advise..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reef Insane;1044304 wrote: Ich seams to be gone. 3 days of feeding twice a day with metro , focus, and garlic. My fish are very aggressive eaters and I didn't lose anything. I also raised the temp to 78. Tonight I cut the dose in half and I'm going to continue the treatment for the next 3-4 days reducing the dose. Skimmer has been off for the 3 first days and I just turned it back on and at the end of the week I will run carbon. It seemed to work. I will update . Thank you again ARC for the good advise..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seachem recommends to use metro/focus for 3 weeks. since the effectiveness of the meds is actually binding t othe food you can keep your skimmer going...

That's true. I'll keep the skimmer on. I miss one day of medication and Ich showing again. So sounds like you're right I'm going to treat for three weeks.

not sure if youre trying it this way but this is how I do...

depending on size/amount of fish you have mix up enough food for a week at a time in a glass cup. I usually take 2-3 cubes of mysis 1 cube of cylopeeze, 1 cube of cyclops, and a frozen veggie mix i have, mix it all up in ro/di water with the metro and focus, garlic and let it sit for 20-30mins. After that refreeze the mix in an ice cube tray, splitting it equally into 7 days and then use 1 each day. I feed 3 times a day so I dont feed all of the med mix at once I split it and feed say 10am and 7pm with a normal feeding in between....

That's not a bad idea. What would even be better is If I can get my hands on some mini ice trays.

Back