ICP tests and Check your magnets periodically

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
So I do recommend doing regular ICP testing. This is a tool that wasn't around years ago... and can certainly help you stave off many disasters. Recently one of my icp tests came back with some heavy metals on one of my tanks. This indicated a magnet was the likely culprit and sure enough the water proof magnet that held my ato line in place had somehow corroded through its casing. I actually forgot that the ato on that tank was held in place with a magnet that came with the kit and prolly wouldn't have caught this till disaster had taken a full hold on some of the corals. No, I don't own stock in any particular ICP testing company... :)

Sage-like advice that I really need to follow through with. To which I would add, check you thermometers and heaters. This is the time of year when your heaters really get a workout and I always add an additional 100W heater to each of my systems as a little helping hand or backup.

Aye the thing that sucks about heaters is that they are so prone to failure. My sources indicate that 3 out of every 5 tank crashes are usually heat related and that stat is has an accuracy of +/- 3, so not bad.

You raise a very good point though, I need to go through and check all my heaters once more... it's that time of year. I stocked up on a bunch of big eheims when that online store I now forget the name of cause I'm getting older went under... Anyways, even eheims which are my goto heater will fail on occassion. I had one that was leaking voltage into the tank last year... that was quite a ... shock... :jin:

The name of that emoji is (Jin). That’s why I was like wtf??

Actually, it was in an animated pack I downloaded... they already had it named Jin so it was destined.

I, love it. I'm no pushover and I'm certainly no saint. :jin:

Yes, I need to do this soon. Specifically to check iron. I know a hose clamp that I use near my return pump has been rusty.

and to swap out my heaters

Back