ID: Mushroom worm or parasite?

cgill311

Market
Reaction score
About one month back I had a red mushroom that appeared to have small white worms eating the inside of it. These things were no longer than a few mm in length and maybe 0.5 mm in diameter. I threw that mushroom away for fear of what they could be.

Now I see the same worm things in one of my blue mushrooms that I like a lot better. I tried pulling them off with tweezers, but they've eaten a hole to the inside of the mushroom.

Does anyone know what these could be and/or a possible medication to kill these things? Maybe I should try a freshwater or lugol's solution dip?

Can you get a picture Chris? I had this on my Mushrooms once, I'll post the picture later tonight. Someone told me it was just expelling waste and I shouldn't worry. I left them alone and they are still fine.

When I get home tonight, I'll post the picture.

-Andy

Chris,

I found the picture. Thank you GMail!

Does yours look anything like this?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
29542=1849-mushroom.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
29542=1849-mushroom.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="mushroom.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

burdundi;29542 wrote: Chris,

I found the picture. Thank you GMail!

Does yours look anything like this?

Yeah, that's exactly it. What is that white stuff?

Did I throw away my red mushroom for no reason?

I wish I could give you a better answer. It might be expelling waste or it could be some kind of stress. I don't remember having anything out of the ordinary happening in my tank at the time. I don't believe they are a type of worm or parasite, but I'm not 100%.

I left mine alone and they are still doing fine.

-Andy

Great photo! If you are worried about what it could be, get so Pro Coral Cure and dip it... That stuff is the bomb...

Those are the mesentarial filaments of your mushrooms digestive system.

They usually protrude from the mouth when something is irritating the mushroom, and are withdrawn when the irritation ceases. I'm not certain if it is a defensive strategy or a stress reaction.

When you see them, carefully observe the mushroom and its surroundings to try to find out what is irritating it.

It's perfectly normal. Did you say that you threw them away? Sorry.
They were fine, IMO & E.

Dakota;29613 wrote: Those are the mesentarial filaments of your mushrooms digestive system.

They usually protrude from the mouth when something is irritating the mushroom, and are withdrawn when the irritation ceases. I'm not certain if it is a defensive strategy or a stress reaction.

When you see them, carefully observe the mushroom and its surroundings to try to find out what is irritating it.

It's perfectly normal. Did you say that you threw them away? Sorry.
They were fine, IMO & E.

Correct!

Back