Id please - pest or starfish?

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
Just introduced my cuc a few days ago and found this guy on the glass today. Looks like half a baby starfish but not sure
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1003639=58285-image.jpg
>
1003639=58285-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Better pic of it
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1003640=58286-image.jpg
>
1003640=58286-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks like an asteria starfish. I get them out as soon as I see them. They can irritate corals.

mwbeach;1003647 wrote: Your welcome. They also can reproduce very fast.

Good to know, I got him out of there. Must have snuck in on my cuc. I cycled with dry rock to avoid this lol

Nickh06;1003648 wrote: Good to know, I got him out of there. Must have snuck in on my cuc. I cycled with dry rock to avoid this lol

I did the same thing with dry rock. They sneak in on anything. Mine have come on Corals and CUC.

Make sure you don't leave a leg behind when pulling them out. That's how they reproduce is by legs coming off and growing into a new one

Crazy, also good to know. I slid him off the glass with a net and he stayed in one piece. How long did your dry rock take to start growing coralline?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a mix of dry and live rock. Took a month or two before I started seeing some. Took 6 months to see alot

The asteria starfish will also eat the purple coralline algae off your rocks. When you see a lot of white spots on the coralline start looking for the starfish late at night or before the lights come on. Holley:D

I just leave them alone. They don't hurt anything unless they have some red on their backs. Mine that are white have never done any harm

I used to pick them out but have to many now to bother with. No visible harm but I don't like them!

I've recently had a huge explosion of them in my tank. I just leave them about their business.

Like Mikesmith said, the ones with color on their back are the ones to watch out for, they'll munch on zoas.

Thanks guys! Good Info, I am never surprised at the stuff I find in my tank anymore. Pretty cool that random things pop up every now and then.

Back