Id...please?

dave

Market
Reaction score
This started growing on the sand about a month ago. Now I have 4 spots of it with the largest about 6 inches across.

Is it OK or bad?

Thanks for any info.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
207539=12467-Slime.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
207539=12467-Slime.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Slime.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

looks like cyno to me, or red slime algae, I say it is bad, check your params and see if something is out of whack :)

Cyano bacteria! Bad stuff, siphon it out and do a water change, and test your phosphates. You're going to need a heavy duty test kit to test for phosphates as API doesn't test low enough.

Steve;207544 wrote: Cyano bacteria! Bad stuff, siphon it out and do a water change, and test your phosphates. You're going to need a heavy duty test kit to test for phosphates as API doesn't test low enough.

Figures it would be bad. What kit do you suggest? I have the API.

And thanks for the quick response!

Cyano bacteria is the correct name for it. I am correcting myself.

I knew someone that had to keep syphoning it off the sand. It finally went away with a lot of water changes.

Dave;207549 wrote: Figures it would be bad. What kit do you suggest? I have the API.

And thanks for the quick response!

You don't need a phospate test kit. IF you have algae, you have phophates. It's pretty simple, that's your test kit. Cyano bacteria or red slime algae isn't actually algae. It's bacteria. Just cut back on the amount you feed, change the flow patterns inyour tnak, and start doing water changes and it will be fine.

Thanks everyone. I have been doing a 25% change once a month so I'll step that up.

Dave;207560 wrote: Thanks everyone. I have been doing a 25% change once a month so I'll step that up.

IT's a battle we have all fought at one time or another. It's really not that big a deal and it's quite common in young tanks.

Yeah what a pain!! What kind of flow do you have? Also, they make some powder that kills it off but ive never used it. So much so that I dont even remember what its called. It usually will collect in area's where the flow isnt that great "dead spots" Just syphon it out and kick your flow to the area's where it mostly hangs out. Keep up with the water changes and you should be good.

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">1. Use only RO or RO/DI water for your makeup water. Tap water has too much crud in it.
2. Increase flow in the tank with an extra powerhead or two.
3. Siphon out as much as you can regularly as you do water changes.
4. Use a phosphate remover, and change it out frequently at first.
5. Feed a little less.

Turning the lights off doesn't solve this problem so quite often when the lights are turned back on the cyano is back.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;"> </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">While everyone tries to solve cyano bacteria problems, nutrients are not the sole cause of their existence in our tanks. Increased flow, random water movement, and lighting (age of bulbs) should also be considered.</span>

Back