Idea for next months meeting

rhomer

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking about a different concept for the next meeting. I had the idea instead of a formal presentation, have round tables. Have a few groups setup where newer reef members can talk to some more expereinced members about really anything from sps corals to nudibranchs from plumbing sumps to lighting. The round tables could be setup formally ie each one designated to a certain topic or less formal where any questions can come up.

I second that...

It's always good to have someone to talk to that has been in the hobby longer and to learn from their mistakes & experiences.

Another suggestion is to maybe pick a few members and have them take detailed pictures of their setups so we can talk about different ways of reefing, coral propogation, plumbing, etc. I am sure we can find a few reefers that are proud of thier systems. I know one frustration of mine is that I have all these good ideas about making the systems run more efficient but I know they might have been attempted by someone else in the past and it failed.

On my motorcycle forum we call it a newby ride.....this would be sort of the same except we all won't be in leather and fending for our lives on the Georgia roads. Great idea!

flyingarmy wrote: I second that...
this would be sort of the same except we all won't be in leather

Hey, Leather is not out of the question... Opps, sorry, that is the theme in my "OTHER" club!

I like the idea. I would suggest we find a place less echo-ie because it will probably get a little loud.

Cameron wrote: I like the idea. I would suggest we find a place less echo-ie because it will probably get a little loud.

I had the same thought about the noise.

Rob

And what about two people getting into it over BubbleKings vs. ATI. That debate could get loud and ugly.

We did that style of meeting a year or two ago. If I remember correctly, the topics included photography (by Melissa), setting up a nano tank, seahorses (myself), and maybe one or two others. I greatly enjoyed the meeting, and I wouldn't mind putting together another presentation if asked.

If needed I can compentantly (not expert) speak on sumps, wet/dry, pumps, skimmers, ozone, calcium reactors, kalk reactors, chillers, mh lighting, pc lighting, plumbing, closed loops, sps corals, some inverts, fish, water chemistry on a high level. I'm by no means an expert on any one subject, just very dangerous at most of them.

Rob

I can give an excellent speech on how not to have your powerstrip set up so if your friend who is taking care of your tank wants to turn on the light can accidently turn off your whole filtration/heater system and turn your tank into a water coffin! Or I could just listen to those that know a lot more about reefing than I do! I think the later is more appropriate!

Need photography talk table if avail. Can we also setup some cardboard mats and a boombox and see if anyone will break dance?

Flipturn88 wrote: We did that style of meeting a year or two ago. If I remember correctly, the topics included photography (by Melissa), setting up a nano tank, seahorses (myself), and maybe one or two others. I greatly enjoyed the meeting, and I wouldn't mind putting together another presentation if asked.

I remember that meeting, it was my first. I think it worked well and the venue was good too.

Thank you all for the ideas.

flyingarmy wrote:
Another suggestion is to maybe pick a few members and have them take detailed pictures of their setups so we can talk about different ways of reefing, coral propogation, plumbing, etc.

We are actually starting to put together a "Tour of Tanks" where we'll get together as a group on a weekend and drive around to a few houses of people that want to host and check out tank setups that way...
Keep a lookout, I'm trying to make it happen in the next couple weeks.

wow this is an awesome idea. i'd definitely love to have a chance to sit down with some veterans and new people and bounce questions/feedback back and forth in person. forums work well but nothing beats plain conversation.

scottyb wrote: wow this is an awesome idea. i'd definitely love to have a chance to sit down with some veterans and new people and bounce questions/feedback back and forth in person. forums work well but nothing beats plain conversation.
agreed I have learned alot by simply talking to people at the meetings and asking questions this definitly would be a good meeting idea.

I would be willing to do something on Fish Pathology, Diseases eg., Ich, (With Jmany's help too since he is vey knowledgable) and QT and Dip preventitive measures.

The only other skill I have to offer is Real Estate Appraisals and Psychology. So I can tell you how much your house value will go down because of the 300G you want to place in the wall and what your fish inner most desires are!

Xyzpdq0121 wrote: I would be willing to do something on Fish Pathology, Diseases eg., Ich, (With Jmany's help too since he is vey knowledgable) and QT and Dip preventitive measures.

The only other skill I have to offer is Real Estate Appraisals and Psychology. So I can tell you how much your house value will go down because of the 300G you want to place in the wall and what your fish inner most desires are!
why would your house value go down? who in their right mind would not want a 300g tank built into their wall? I would pay extra just to have that!

Stroid;28755 wrote: why would your house value go down? who in their right mind would not want a 300g tank built into their wall? I would pay extra just to have that!
Some people also put in pools that lower thier value. You and I might like a 300 gallon tank but the average Joe Blo isnt going to know what to do with....unless he hires me to take care of it for him then its all good :shades:

FishyBusiness;28798 wrote: Some people also put in pools that lower thier value. You and I might like a 300 gallon tank but the average Joe Blo isnt going to know what to do with....unless he hires me to take care of it for him then its all good :shades:

Exactly.... Only build a tank in your wall if you are going to live there for quite some time, or have cash to blow, or build it so you can drywall over it before you move out.

I would love to have a 300G in my wall, but then again, we must remember that not EVERYONE is as cor-ray-zee about spending every waking moment on their tanks as we are!

Xyzpdq0121;28887 wrote: Exactly.... Only build a tank in your wall if you are going to live there for quite some time, or have cash to blow, or build it so you can drywall over it before you move out.

I would love to have a 300G in my wall, but then again, we must remember that not EVERYONE is as cor-ray-zee about spending every waking moment on their tanks as we are!
yeah i mean i can understand that but those people are just stupid lol

Back