Ideas to destroy Ich in the display tank?

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
I'm kind of baffled why the reefing community hasn't been able to come up with a _real_ solution to killing ich off in a display tank. I started thinking, and came up with two ideas.

1. The mouse trap / roach bait method

Figure out whatever it is about the texture of a stressed out Tang that secrets some "oil" or substance that attracts Ich to them. Create some sort of artificial plastic device that is an Ich magnet using the found oils from stressed out fish that Ich love so much.

Once the Ich take a bite into the side o' the stressed faux fishy, they get a mouthful of some compound that either:
a. Causes them to die by fire.
b. Causes their reproductive systems to become all mutated so they can't continue to reproduce.

It would work very much like cockroach poison traps. The cockroach goes into the trap, gets a bite to eat because it smells good, and it ultimately becomes its demise.

Just gotta make sure that nothing but Ich can access the compound that destroys it (some sort of anti-parasitic like metronidazole)

2. Biological warfare. Mankind has had the brains to genetically engineer viruses and bacteria that would wipe out the worlds' human population worldwide in matter of days / weeks. Why couldn't someone genetically engineer a virus / bacteria that specifically attacked Ich, and Ich only?

Study Ich in the wild, and any natural diseases that the parasite might have? Then go off of that and multiply it x 1000%?

a. There are all sort of implications here with the EPA and the CDC by genetically engineering viruses to eradicate a species. Maybe someone else here on the forums actually works for the CDC or in some Bio Tech field that could elaborate on the legal / government issues on this end.

There are a few issues with bioengineering:

1. Cost is very high. This hobby is too small to spend that kind of dough.

2. FDA would be involved. Again, more $$

3. A strong enough uv will take of business.

+1 on UV.

When killing things with UV, its all about the exposure. Running the flow through the UV filter too fast does not yield enough dwell time and therefore tough organisms are not killed. A 9W UV will kill ich given enough dwell time. Check with the manufacturer for the appropriate flow for your UV filter.

A 9 watt uv would be sufficient in a 25g tank given the correct flow of about 25 gph.

Skriz;410525 wrote: A 9 watt uv would be sufficient in a 25g tank given the correct flow of about 25 gph.
where'd you pull those numbers from ?

I've got a 25W UV that I'm thinking about setting up for my 90.. (any idea on flow gph?)

what about if I made the unit "portable" with a feed and outlet hose and pump, would I be able to use the same flow through the UV on a 30gal tank?

I would think the variable would be "time running" for the UV..

Rbredding;410531 wrote: where'd you pull those numbers from ?

I've got a 25W UV that I'm thinking about setting up for my 90.. (any idea on flow gph?)

what about if I made the unit "portable" with a feed and outlet hose and pump, would I be able to use the same flow through the UV on a 30gal tank?

I would think the variable would be "time running" for the UV..

The is based on the dwell time required to kill ich. You want to look at the concentration of UV per gph to determine what power you need to accomplish X.

I deal with UV systems on a daily basis, so it's become quite automatic for me to calculate. Having said that, I don't deal with small systems and never fool with most of the UV units available to the hobby (most are garbage).

I guess i'm asking if the dwell time to kill ICH is linear?

so if 9W will work on a 25gal at 25gph, could you run a 18W unit (or two 9W's) at 50gph ?

what is the "dwell time" to kill ICH?

Rbredding;410798 wrote: I guess i'm asking if the dwell time to kill ICH is linear?

so if 9W will work on a 25gal at 25gph, could you run a 18W unit (or two 9W's) at 50gph ?

what is the "dwell time" to kill ICH?

You need a UV dose of 280,000 µWs/cm² to kill ich in its free swimming stage.

now I realize that this is from a site that sells UV Sterilizers, but....

a>

Yep, that chart looks like the others I have seen. Now the tricky part is finding out what flow rate through your specific UV unit will yield a 280,000 µWs/cm² exposure. My Gamma unit came with a chart that listed various flow rates and exposures.

that's the million dollar question..

shouldn't that be provided by the lamp manufacturer? (since it's really determined by wattage and lamp surface area)

Yeah, i've been mixing in metro and focus into their frozen food mush now for about 2-3 weeks. I think i'm going to keep it up for another 2-3 weeks, then give them some time off. I've heard that long exposures to metro and focus can cause liver and kidney damage in the fish and could possibly shorten their lives -- but then again -- so can Ich.

All the fish look good now, except for the powder blue tang (a few spots) and the blue hippo is still scratching. I picked up a neon goby, and 2x cleaner shrimp. Both tangs have been going over to the goby for probably 10-15x cleanings a day, so I know thats helping. I've also got a 9w turbo twist UV running with 100gph flow, so I think that with that low of flow, it should be helping somewhat.

For whatever reason, the purple tang hasn't had a single spot of ich on him at all, and he hasn't shown any signs of irritation. He also eats the most, and he eats a variety of the meaty mush as well as the seaweed. I think the Powder blue tang is going to be a little bit more difficult to get meto and focus to, because he really only focuses on eating the seaweed. He'll take a few pokes at the medicine covered mysis shrimp, but he isn't a hog like the purple.

The clownfish, marine betta, and wrasses also look good -- its just the PTB and hippo, so i'm crossing my fingers that their immune systems beef up with the 4x feedings i'm doing a day and with the biological controls as well.

I have had this problem in the past as well fighting ich in my MDT. After days of overfeeding and running the lights off every other day the ich seemed to disappear. Now my tank seems to be free if ich for now and hopefully forever. Question though, does this mean the ich is just in a hibernation state of dead? I also run ozone.

How are you dosing ozone? I've heard that its pretty risky and its really easy to nuke your tank. Do you have a ORP controller? Sounds expensive :sad:

FWIW, we dont run ozone in levels heavy enough to kill ick, although it has excellent qualities. I run it 24/7 into my skimmer.

I also run 25/7 into my skimmer... Heres another link on ich as well.
showthread.php

Back