If you could ask our local LFSs anything what would it be?

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So we’re getting ready to start coordinating and making a bunch of store spotlight videos where we tour the stores and talk to the owners and employees.

What are some questions y’all would like to see answered?

Can we get a group order for real old school live rock... manado, Indo, etc. I’d love to but 10-20 lbs to supplement my tanks. You can’t find it anymore per pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they have a specialty? What is their store known for? Essentially, what sets their store apart from others in the area? What can the club do to help grow their business? Do they have a cause that we should consider supporting?

In the same line as the qt and medication questions above, how long do they hold fish before they are available to the public? And how long is the expected turnover on fish? (Shorter times would suggest higher volume and variety, but longer time may suggest healthier fish are getting to customers with all else being equal)

What types of purchases best help their business; which provide their highest profits? And which provide their highest profit margin?

Who do they source their livestock from and why. Do they like the quality they arrive in, the price, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What equipment do you actually use vs what you sell? But mostly Id love to know when stuff arrives and if possible what arrives so I can get over there!

1. What is their store known for?
  2. What do you wish more customers knew about your store?
  3. There biggest mistakes?
  4. Do you guys QT? Is so for how long?
  5. Do you have a tank at home if so what equipment do you run?

I'd find an alternative question for number 3. Maybe flip it around. What is the most common mistake that reefers who ask for help make? or What's something that you learned the hard way that others could benefit from?

Number 4) I'd suggest modifying it slightly. How does your store care for new fish and how do you manage pests? Do you QT? If so what is your method?

I'd find an alternative question for number 3. Maybe flip it around. What is the most common mistake that reefers who ask for help make? or What's something that you learned the hard way that others could benefit from?

Number 4) I'd suggest modifying it slightly. How does your store care for new fish and how do you manage pests? Do you QT? If so what is your method?
I agree with these edits. Ive already asked most stores #4 immediately after i moved here. Few LFSs here QT their fish or provide any level of care, even for sick fish.

A couple stores said that their goal is to get livestock in and out as quickly as possible, and try to keep turnover to a couple of days, specifically aiming to do so "before symptoms show". And 1 store, when i asked what they do when they identify a infected fish in their system: "Nothing. All fish are sick. Their own immune system will handle it. We still sell it and all other fish in that system to customers. Customers should be able to ID and medicate all diseases, and they should do full quarantines because we dont." And anothet store said that "Fish don't get sick. Thats a myth." I was apalled by most responses.

That said, there was 1 LFS, that doesnt quaratine in advance, but will qt after identification, medicate, and hold sales until the fish is healthy. And i witnessed that care.

If our goal is to advertise for our LFS partners, lets be prepared to have backup questions, and potentially edit the video based on their responses. We could optionally keep those questions and responses in, but we would have more content to pad the runtime with more positive answers. We dont want to make a video that hurts their business more than helping it.

I’d like to know if they feel comfortable telling customers that a certain fish/coral/invert whatever is inappropriate for their particular system at this particular time or if they just sell what is asked for. I feel like aI read (especially on other forums) so many horror stories about too many animals being added to too small of a tank too fast and the disaster that follows. Just because I live dog faces puffers doesn’t mean I can have one right?
I’m just curious if it’s a difficult situation for them to deal with?

Back