I'm at the Beach...

When I was in Hawaii I brought back about 30lbs of red sand. I never ended up using it for fear off what it was really made of

down and outman;489538 wrote: I'll be at Jekyll Island in May for a few days with the family. Is there any reef related stuff around there? I saw that they have a sea turtle preseve that my daughter would love to see. I think someone said that the water is cold there and not good for snorkeling or anything like that. It'll be a good time anyway.

i know that island like the back of my hand.
i go there several times a yr, starting in may.
i dont swim the waters there. i do fish them,
thats why i dont swim them.
jekyll island is the shark breeding capitol
of the eastcoast, again starting in may.
mornings and early to late evening the
sharks come in to feed.
there will be a few stragglers during the day
but mostly at the times i mentioned.
its always funny to see the looks on folks
faces when sharks are pulled into the beach.
"theres sharks in there" :eek:
yeah no sh** lady, where do you think sharks live?
then she will turn and let the kids go swimming again
right up the beach.
funny thing is, ive yet to find anybody that will
put a hook in each hand as they go swimming.
i mean, my shark baits weigh up to 35lbs each,
think of all the time that would save me lol.

I go to St.Thomas almost annually and I have gone to Belize as well and have seen damsels and angels but that is about it as well as the reefs covered I wonder of there what would the punishment be if I brought back like a little ziplock bag full

What I meant would it be worth it?

We always keep our limit of blue leg hermits and bring home a sea hare if I know someone that needs it from the keys. Panama city has mantis shrimp, arrow crabs, and other neat little critters right off the jetties. There is plenty of legal stuff. Just have to go underwater and look.

Thanks Ricksconnected! I need to bring my kevlar mesh suit, LOL if I go collecting there. Sharks are cool too. One morning in Pensacola Beach my wife and I were going for an early morning swim. I notice a bunch of mullets swimming in the waves. Then I saw some black streaks in the water. The sharks were hearding the mullets in for breakfast. We decided we did not want to join them.

Im going to gulf shores fishing over spring break

Is it legal for me to collect some snails if I find any?

you will have to check with the local laws. collecting livestock can
fall under poaching laws.

My s.o. went on a cruise and did some scuba diving 'round the New Year...brought home some rocks and coral skeletons. Accidentally brought home a baby octopus, too, though we didn't know it until it started to stink!

Amazing what a man in baggy swim trunks can get away with. According to him, nobody wants to ask you 'Is that live rock in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?' :tongue2:

sollie7;490633 wrote: Im going to gulf shores fishing over spring break

Is it legal for me to collect some snails if I find any?

I thinking about heading down there myself this weekend.:up:

Made it back from Jekyll Island in one piece. Visited the turtle sanctuary and saw some turtle nests that had hatched out the night before on the beach. The sand was like concrete and not a whole lot of shells or anything. Saw some dolphins in the surf, a few jellies had washed ashore and a huge dead horseshoe crab. Had a good time exploring everything we could. It is a beautiful island. Real nice when the city pays for the trip.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for guitar and a Yamaha B100 bass head w/ parametric equalizers and 2-12's in a homemade cabinet that sits at church for my basses. Love the tube crunch I get out of the fender w/ the drive channel.

i see you do wood working too. ever made your own cabinet?
those hot rods are sweet.
im about to buy a blues JR myself. will be a big change for me from my custom 80's carvin stack and my peaveys. i cant wait.

I do make my own cabs. Years ago in my old rock band years, we used to make all our own cabs. I even made some JBL folded horn cabinets. I also make guitars as a hobby. I have an electric shaped like an explorer with a hard ash body and a maple neck. My latest is a neck thru fretless bass with walnut / ipe neck and walnut / maple body. It has an ipe fingerboard that is super slick. Once I get my workshop built I have 5 necks started that I want to get to carving on. All neck thru and laminated. I just don't want to coat everybody's stuff with sawdust in the garage. I'm real good at turning fine exotic woods into sawdust, LOL.

I'm going to Jekyll saturday and coming back sunday. I can't wait. Hopefully I can check out some tidepools!!!

down and outman;513109 wrote: I do make my own cabs. Years ago in my old rock band years, we used to make all our own cabs. I even made some JBL folded horn cabinets. I also make guitars as a hobby. I have an electric shaped like an explorer with a hard ash body and a maple neck. My latest is a neck thru fretless bass with walnut / ipe neck and walnut / maple body. It has an ipe fingerboard that is super slick. Once I get my workshop built I have 5 necks started that I want to get to carving on. All neck thru and laminated. I just don't want to coat everybody's stuff with sawdust in the garage. I'm real good at turning fine exotic woods into sawdust, LOL.

wow. i would be very interested in seeing some of your work, via PM of course. i have an idea and might see if your interested in helping.

down and outman;513109 wrote: I do make my own cabs. Years ago in my old rock band years, we used to make all our own cabs. I even made some JBL folded horn cabinets. I also make guitars as a hobby. I have an electric shaped like an explorer with a hard ash body and a maple neck. My latest is a neck thru fretless bass with walnut / ipe neck and walnut / maple body. It has an ipe fingerboard that is super slick. Once I get my workshop built I have 5 necks started that I want to get to carving on. All neck thru and laminated. I just don't want to coat everybody's stuff with sawdust in the garage. I'm real good at turning fine exotic woods into sawdust, LOL.

could you make a Ampeg micro vr cabinet copy?

sollie7, once I get my shop set up later this year I could. I'm waiting on the home buyer credit that the IRS is making us jump thru hoops to get.

Back