I'm done with fish.

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
So I've never been a big fish person and can't seem to keep them alive. Well I've had atleast 20 fish and which only 4 are living- and one is about to die. The only fish I can seem to keep alive are clownfish. And my squareback anthia has stopped eating and has lost a lot of its stomach and is starting to swim funny. I really hate to see a fish die and theirs nothing I can really do, so I've decided that ill just do all coral. I'll keep the fish I have but won't be buying any more. It just want meant to be. Just thought I would share.

One thing that I have found that helps with problems is feeding matrix and focus one a week regardless if there is a problem or not and to keep ph up put pickling lime in ro water to keep ph up

There has to be something, some kind of infection/ disease in your tank to be doing that. Sorry to hear it.

man I hate that. This is exactly how I felt with fresh water. Could not keep anything alive and I was getting close to giving up. Now everything goes through my RO/DI and im convinced it could have been my water.

Ralph ATL;992375 wrote: do all of you have a QT tank & QT all your fish?

Not a permanent one. Whenever I get a fish i out it in a 10 gallon for about a week.

cutman1975;992361 wrote: One thing that I have found that helps with problems is feeding matrix and focus one a week regardless if there is a problem or not and to keep ph up put pickling lime in ro water to keep ph up

I feed my tank 2 frozen cubes a day ( I know a lot ) to try and keep the anthia alive.

fishtank;992372 wrote: man I hate that. This is exactly how I felt with fresh water. Could not keep anything alive and I was getting close to giving up. Now everything goes through my RO/DI and im convinced it could have been my water.

I kind of miss Freshwater. I woodl love to get back into it but it's not as INTREsting as SW.

Mikesmith34;992371 wrote: There has to be something, some kind of infection/ disease in your tank to be doing that. Sorry to hear it.

That's what's really confusing me. About a month ago my FoxFace died of no apparent reason. It was eating fine the day before and swimming fine. All fish are doing awesome except my anthia. My clowns are even spawning still.

JC_k;992379 wrote: I feed my tank 2 frozen cubes a day ( I know a lot ) to try and keep the anthia alive.

Anthias like mixed varieties of food. I fed fish eggs (soaked in garlic), mysis, NLS pellets, NLS flakes, Cyclopeeze, and Reef Chili to mine. I often mix them all together in a cup filled with tank water, added garlic and other enhancers and fed.

MarquiseO;992399 wrote: Anthias like mixed varieties of food. I fed fish eggs (soaked in garlic), mysis, NLS pellets, NLS flakes, Cyclopeeze, and Reef Chili to mine. I often mix them all together in a cup filled with tank water, added garlic and other enhancers and fed.

I've fed him NLS pellets and he just stares at them. I've also fed mysis frozen brine/live brine flakes and cyclopeze. He use to love eating mysis and the cyclopeze but he just doesn't eat it anymore it's really strange.

You might want to have the CDC come up and check that tank for the Ebola...jk!
There has to be an underlying cause for all the passing, even if they came sick there would be a remedy.

MYREEFCLUB0070;992408 wrote: You might want to have the CDC come up and check that tank for the Ebola...jk!
There has to be an underlying cause for all the passing, even if they came sick there would be a remedy.

Whatever they are cathing is killing them quickly and doenst really have symptoms.

HiImSean;992422 wrote: what's the time frame of buying the fish, QT, and entrance to DT

The foxface I had for almost 2 years. ( unkown cause of death)

The anthia I have had almost 3 moths. qt was 5 days for it. Shorter time than normal but it was eating and acting fine.

I use to have a tang that lasted 6 months beige it passed (unkown cause of death ).

I've had another tang (blue) that lasted 8 days (ick)

I had a diamond goby that was 6 months old ( unkown cause of death )

I had a coris wrasse. It disappeared the die I got it and I never found it. Suspecting a old crab ate it.

Beside the fish, I'd look into changes made or added to the tank lately, if the fox face was 2 years old then I would say it's something to do with the system more than likely or the last fish added to the tank came In with a very infectious disease.

MYREEFCLUB0070;992466 wrote: Beside the fish, I'd look into changes made or added to the tank lately, if the fox face was 2 years old then I would say it's something to do with the system more than likely or the last fish added to the tank came In with a very infectious disease.

Haven't changed anything about the tank in a long time, got some new lights though. If it was a disease you would think it would affect the other fish.

What are your parameters? All of them, including specific gravity - and what device are you using to test specific gravity? (Hydrometer or refractometer?) And when was it last calibrated or checked for accuracy?

Jenn

JennM;992484 wrote: What are your parameters? All of them, including specific gravity - and what device are you using to test specific gravity? (Hydrometer or refractometer?) And when was it last calibrated or checked for accuracy?

Jenn

I'll post them tomorrow. I have an API test kit so I'll just get them tested at my lfs.

I use 2 hydrometers and they have always been accurate.

Back