I'm improving my lighting...I need your help!

jaustin

Market
Reaction score
Well I have come to the conclusion that i need more PAR. My SPS corals are close to the top of the tank and i'm not getting the color or growth that i see in other tanks here and at my LFS.

My lighting now:

Two M57 Advanced ballasts
Two SE 20K MH Plusrite bulbs
Two Parabolic reflectors
Two 96W PC (12K and Actinic)

The color is amazing in my tank so I want to stay in the 14-20K range.

I'm wondering if upgrading my ballasts to electronic and going with a better SE bulb would be good enough? I have thought of buying a dual electronic ballast and getting two Iwasakie 15K SE bulbs.

Or

Get a single 14-20K DE HQI 250W setup with a new reflector and a nice bulb. Would a single 250W HQI cover my 36" tank? Or would two iwasakie 175w se bulbs driven by electronic ballasts be better?

I can sell my SE setups for cheap, the would work great for a shallow frag tank. I would sell them for $50 each (bulb ballast and reflector) or $90 for both, included would be two 10K, two 20K, and one 14k plusrite bulbs.

Thanks for the help, i'm still learing about halides and i need some direction/openion. My corals will thank you!

Jason

I'm an *** for forgetting that, they are 175W, One of my options would be sticking with 175w but getting the iwasaki bulbs and elect ballast. the tank is a 65g

The 175w plusrite brand bulbs are from ebay. I have a mixed reef with LPS and softies. The SPS will be in the top half of the tank and the softies and lps in the lower half. I read that the Plusrite bulbs were about 40% less than the 15K parbuster SE Iwasaki and that's with a electronic ballast, i have magnetic wich produce lower par.

Stonies slow growth are 9 times out of 10 indications of excess phosphates (& maybe trates) &/or flow than light bulbs. IMHO. But with those bulbs, who knows? Changing brands of bulbs would be better that type of bulb. IMO.

mysterybox;152466 wrote: Stonies slow growth are 9 times out of 10 indications of excess phosphates (& maybe trates) &/or flow than light bulbs. IMHO. But with those bulbs, who knows? Changing brands of bulbs would be better that type of bulb. IMO.

Totaly agree.

I dont knowwhat size or how deep your tank is, but 175 watts 15 k Iwasaki put out some major PAR. with the right reflector even at good depth. I dont think id change the ballasts unless you just want to.

Do a little research on the components (ballast/bulb) that you have and then decide where you'd like to be in regards to color and PAR.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/">http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/</a>

Then try to find some info on the reflectors you are using. There have been some pretty impressive advancements in the reflectors that are available in the hobby.

There may not be a reason for you to change everything out. It may be as easy as replacing just one of the components to get what you want!

Well I use RO water but the performance of the Kit i bought is crap....it produces 30 TDS. I have since ordered a new membrane and filters but the membrane i bought was defective....it produced 40 tds and i tried reseating it...letting it run over night, no luck. The membrane is a Coralife CTA membrane rated at 22 GPD.

I now have a new Filmtek 50 GPD TFC membrane and new 50 GPD pressure relief valve on the way. I'll swap the lines around so the water goes through the sed and carbon before the membrane; unlike the CTA that needs clorinated water first. But i read that the rejection rate on the TFC membranes is higher. I'll also pick up a DI add on once i know that my TDS is 10 and below.

I do have a Phos reactor with Rowaphos and i have alot of cheato.

It looks like i'm going to lean towards getting a electronic ballast that will drive my two halides. I here they require less power and they drive the bulb better, make it last longer, and increase PAR. I think i'll order two of the Iwasaki 15K bulbs and maybe upgrade reflectors, i have parabolic reflectors from hellolights.com.....they aren't the best but i didn't know that at the time.

I'll look into new reflectors later on...i know that the good ones are 80 bucks or so.

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

Not sure where Ray City is but if you'd like to see the Iwasakis and you're ever in the Canton area, you are more than welcome to stop by. I do like those bulbs!

ray city is next to Valdosta, south ga about 3.5 hrs from atlanta. I don't need to see the Iwasakis, i'm sure they are one hell of a bulb.

mufret, do you have the 15k 175w se bulbs? If so what ballast are you using and how are your SPS's?

I think I'll order one Icecap electronic ballast and two 15K SE Iwasakis. I'll let one be driven by my mag ballast because i won't be able to spend that extra $130 for the other Icecap ballast right away.

JAustin;152815 wrote: mufret, do you have the 15k 175w se bulbs? If so what ballast are you using and how are your SPS's?

I've run them on ARO ballasts and currently using the Blueline eballasts. Yes, they are the 175w SE 15k bulbs.

Ok, the decision has come down to buying two iwasaki 15k se 175w halides and sticking with my m57 advanced ballasts for now. That will provide me with alot more par than i have now for sure. From sanjays testing my lights are in the 50's in output and the iwasakis are in the 70's. When i get eballests the output will be in the 80's. So there will be room for future improvement.

So yeah the bulb first.
You did not mention what reflector you have your $ might be better spent on better reflectors rather than the E- ballast.

mufret;152854 wrote: I've run them on ARO ballasts and currently using the Blueline eballasts. Yes, they are the 175w SE 15k bulbs.

What was the differance between the 2 ballast?

Well the two 175w Iwasaki 15k se bulbs are ordered. I'll look into eballasts later on.

Oh and what's the best reflector out there for a se 175w mh?

I found the bulbs at Coral Reef Eco-Systems for $73 each! Everyone else wanted $85-$100....screw that!

Back