Im over it...

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
I used to not care sho much about these guys, but they are starting to bug me. I've been looking at the tank a lot lately with all the extra time on my hands, making frags too, I was upset to see some if the recent frags really looking wrecked and noticed a small star on one. Well that's it, you aren't going to eat my coral, you're out. I've been pulling them out with tweezers for a few days now. This is my saturday morning find. 20200328_113957.jpg

I’ve been doing the same over the last month and I’m with you....F*** those damn things. They do irritate And eat corals contrary to what some would say. I’ve lost a couple zoas to them and I’m over it.

I feel your pain brother. And went through a similar realization a few years ago.

Unfortunately, even after I got seemingly 100% of them out. Several months later, I found 1. Then several more months, another. This kept repeating. Even tanks we had with Harlequin Shrimp never completely eradicated these stars.

I think the only way to truly get from 99.9% to 100% is by starting a new tank, and/or some dumb luck.

Nonetheless, wishing you the best of luck to get to, at least, that 99.9% mark!

I used to not care sho much about these guys, but they are starting to bug me. I've been looking at the tank a lot lately with all the extra time on my hands, making frags too, I was upset to see some if the recent frags really looking wrecked and noticed a small star on one. Well that's it, you aren't going to eat my coral, you're out. I've been pulling them out with tweezers for a few days now. This is my saturday morning find. View attachment 20963
Are these asterina or brittle? Or or those different names for the same thing?

I have been pulling out over 200 every week from my main display, and it’s only an 80 gallon tank!

i’ve even developed some specialty tools including a thin diameter siphon tube with a dental pick tie straped to the end of it so I can pull them off rocks or from a crate or wherever.

I feel your pain brother. And went through a similar realization a few years ago.

Unfortunately, even after I got seemingly 100% of them out. Several months later, I found 1. Then several more months, another. This kept repeating. Even tanks we had with Harlequin Shrimp never completely eradicated these stars.

I think the only way to truly get from 99.9% to 100% is by starting a new tank, and/or some dumb luck.

Nonetheless, wishing you the best of luck to get to, at least, that 99.9% mark!
I'm ok with keeping the mindset that if I see go ahead and pull it out. it's just going to be another maintenance behavior now.

Asterina.
I think some people have teased me a little about trying to keep these out of my tank. I even inspect clean up crew and scraped some of these off of crab and snail shells. Not sure yet if I’ve been successful but trying just for this reason.

I'm ok with keeping the mindset that if I see go ahead and pull it out. it's just going to be another maintenance behavior now.
I'm glad I've been doing that with any I see on the front or side glass ever since I started my tanks, at one point I'd get a couple a week, now maybe one a month so they've never really been a problem.

Back